Trans/rear dif oil? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Trans/rear dif oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by williaty These trannys make more different kinds of crazy noises than anything I've ever heard. Even more ...

Quote Originally Posted by williaty View Post
    These trannys make more different kinds of crazy noises than anything I've ever heard. Even more fun, they don't all make exactly the same sounds. About the only advice I can give you that when your car starts making different noises, you need to pay attention.
    I didn't know if you couldn't drive like that in a subaru or not, since I'm used to my honda gearbox. I think it makes that sound because it is in gear and they're spinning. I don't know much about how a transmission works, but I wish I did.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
    I don't know much about how a transmission works, but I wish I did.
    The problem with Subaru transmissions is that transmission engineers who don't work for Subaru feel the same way you do when they look at a Subie tranny. They are crazy, clever pieces of black magic. Considering that in a box less than a yard long you've got the input shaft, the output shaft, the center diff, the center VC unit, a prop shaft, and the front diff (and possibly something that provides LSD function for it) and almost all of them lie on the same line.... Caarrrraaaaaazy, yo.

Even better is that to make it all lie on the same line (Symetrical AWD), some of the parts pass through other parts.

The problem with Subaru transmissions is that transmission engineers who don't work for Subaru feel the same way you do when they look at a Subie tranny. They are crazy, clever pieces of black magic. Considering that in a box less than a yard long you've got the input shaft, the output shaft, the center diff, the center VC unit, a prop shaft, and the front diff (and possibly something that provides LSD function for it) and almost all of them lie on the same line.... Caarrrraaaaaazy, yo.

Even better is that to make it all lie on the same line (Symetrical AWD), some of the parts pass through other parts.
    That's just crazy! Miracles of engineering. I just wish it would cooperate with me. I'm going to try to borrow someone's driveway to flush. How long does it take for the tranny and diff fluid to drain?

Drain a little bit? 5min. Drain more than 75% of the oil in there.... maybe 8 hours?

Drain a little bit? 5min. Drain more than 75% of the oil in there.... maybe 8 hours?
    8 hours?!?! Is it necessary to drain it for the 8 hours or is like 30 minutes ok, or is there some happy medium?

Yeah, I drove mine until hot, popped out the dipstick, the popped the drain plug and waited about 30min. I was about to put back about about 3qt, but it turned out I was overfull, so I drained probably 0.25-0.50qt back out.

That's what I had in mind I need a floor jack again... My craftsman broke when I took the tranny off my honda for a clutch job., The tranny slid down the jack and the edge of the bellhousing snagged the bleeder screw leaving the threads in the bore. I wouldn't get a new Craftsman aluminum floor jack if it were a dollar.

I have access to a lift we put it up poped the plug on the rear diff and on the tranny then swaped out my broken splash panel. After that we went in to the house had a few beers came out and the tranny was done dripping...
    Last edited by ckb1985; 12-22-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ckb1985 View Post
    I have access to a lift we put it up poped the plug on the rear diff and on the tranny then swaped out my broken splash panel. After that we went in to the house had a beers came out and the tranny was done dripping...
    A lift At your house? Yeah, I'm definitely getting one of those in a few years. They're only like $2500 for a decent one.

actualy at my brother in laws house 2 mins down the road from me. Hes just built a 1 stall high ceiling addition on his garage with a lift in it and heat so we can work all winter long. Its really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ckb1985 View Post
    actualy at my brother in laws house 2 mins down the road from me. Hes just built a 1 stall high ceiling addition on his garage with a lift in it and heat so we can work all winter long. Its really nice.
    Yup. I've seen a guy on my block that has a lift with a car on top, then another car below the car on the lift. Nice way to store an extra car

Update: Pep Boys had BOXES of the castrol hypoyC 80w90 for $4.99/qt and BOXES of the Pennzoil Synchromesh for $7.99/qt. The 75w90 castrol stuff has been discontinued so I can't find it anywhere. I'm going to a speed shop tomorrow to try to get the 75w90GL-5 red line stuff and the lightweight shockproof. Any reason why it says that the lightweight shockproof is NOT recommended for trannies with synchros?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.