? about break-in mileage

This is a discussion on ? about break-in mileage within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've read here that you should not go WOT until you hit 1000 miles. Is this true? My previous car ...

SRM

? about break-in mileage

I've read here that you should not go WOT until you hit 1000 miles. Is this true? My previous car the break-in consensus was 500 miles. Do I really need to wait until I hit 1000 miles?

Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SRM View Post
    I've read here that you should not go WOT until you hit 1000 miles. Is this true? My previous car the break-in consensus was 500 miles. Do I really need to wait until I hit 1000 miles?

Some say yes some say no. Personally I always follow break-in with a new car. It might not be necessary but it certainly won't hurt. 1k isn't that long to wait. Patience.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    The consensus here would probably suggest yes. Waiting 800 - 1000 miles is a good idea. I did not go above 5K rpm all but a few times during my break in. I also waited 6600 miles before making the switch to Mobil 1 5W-30. At nearly 28k miles the engine uses no measurable amount of oil.

Moving to Maintenance, service, troubleshooting, and basic repair.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

SRM
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    The consensus here would probably suggest yes. Waiting 800 - 1000 miles is a good idea. I did not go above 5K rpm all but a few times during my break in. I also waited 6600 miles before making the switch to Mobil 1 5W-30. At nearly 28k miles the engine uses no measurable amount of oil.

Moving to Maintenance, service, troubleshooting, and basic repair.
    Thanks. I thought about synthetic oil to limit duration of changes but the Subaru manual states to change the oil at the recommend schedule no matter what type of oil used. I don't know.
    Mine: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
    Hers: 2010 Wrangler Sahara

Previous cars: 2000 Z28, 2007 WRX TR