RPMs drop around 3 grand is this normal?

This is a discussion on RPMs drop around 3 grand is this normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 05 wrx wit the only mod so far being a invidia downpipe, and i just noticed this ...

RPMs drop around 3 grand is this normal?

I have a 05 wrx wit the only mod so far being a invidia downpipe, and i just noticed this last week (didn't ever notice it before) but sometimes in 2nd and almost always in 3rd and 4th my RPMs drop around 3 grand, is this normal???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Could you give some more details? Are you saying that you have the car in gear, accelerating, and the rpms suddenly drop down at 3000?

Also, moving this to the Maintenance and Troubleshooting forum.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Could you give some more details? Are you saying that you have the car in gear, accelerating, and the rpms suddenly drop down at 3000?

Also, moving this to the Maintenance and Troubleshooting forum.
    That is exactly whats happening

I Support ClubWRX
    So is it bucking pretty violently?

How much mileage is on the car?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

It doesn't buck at all I don't feel any difference from when I didn't notice it. Theres about 36k on it.

So are the engine RPMs actually dropping? Or are you saying that the gauge indicates an RPM drop, but the engine is acting normally?
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    So are the engine RPMs actually dropping? Or are you saying that the gauge indicates an RPM drop, but the engine is acting normally?
    I was driving it today and was paying attention to what was happening and here is what I observed. While in third gear, accelerating, RPMS usually rise pretty fast around 25 grand and then at about 35 it drops. Also happens in fourth.

I Support ClubWRX
    If it happens and there's no bucking, it sounds like an ECU/dash electronics glitch.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Ok now its really happening very bad. When I get on the gas my car just revs high really fast and then drops, especially in 2nd and 3rd. I'm pretty sure my clutch is slipping, anybody wanna recommend a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by stillillmatic7 View Post
    Ok now its really happening very bad. When I get on the gas my car just revs high really fast and then drops, especially in 2nd and 3rd. I'm pretty sure my clutch is slipping, anybody wanna recommend a new one?
    right before it drops, it spikes? or does it feel like its "slipping" down? and are you still in gear? can you accel?
    **** off with your candy paint jobs and spoilers that are 8x too big , I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

Its slipping. I can accelerate, but not as hard as before, because it just revs, drops, catches then goes. I can't even step on the gas without the engine reving hard now.

Slipping?

If your RPMs are dropping at that point...which is when boost would be kicking in its most likely a failing clutch.

I Support ClubWRX
    slipping clutch