Jerky acceleration

This is a discussion on Jerky acceleration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2006 WRX Sportwagon with 2500 miles on it. I have noticed that since I bought it when ...

Jerky acceleration

I have a 2006 WRX Sportwagon with 2500 miles on it. I have noticed that since I bought it when accelerating the car is not very smooth. I have reset the drive electronics twice now. The jerky acceleration is aggravated when the car is cold. Even when warm it is particularly noticable when accelerating hard from 2000 RPM to ~3000RPM. You can still feel it after 3K but it is less pronounced.

Any thoughts? Is this just the nature of the car? Never owned a turbo before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by veacomp View Post
    I have a 2006 WRX Sportwagon with 2500 miles on it. I have noticed that since I bought it when accelerating the car is not very smooth. I have reset the drive electronics twice now. The jerky acceleration is aggravated when the car is cold. Even when warm it is particularly noticable when accelerating hard from 2000 RPM to ~3000RPM. You can still feel it after 3K but it is less pronounced.

Any thoughts? Is this just the nature of the car? Never owned a turbo before.
    Hmm, I know kind of what your talking about, I too have a 06 sportwagon, and its my second wrx, I don't know how severe your problem is, but I often feel slight choppiness on the acceleration, I would say some off this is natural with a turbo car, especailly the wrx, someone else with more technical knowledge on here will give you better info. but I wouldn't be too concerned unless its really bad and really jerky....
    gJb Hawk-Eye Alliance #002

Mets
    Giants
    Rangers

What gear are you in when you accelerate from 2K RPM? If you're in 3rd gear at 2K and you floor it, the car will buck and be jerky. It's a combination of the turbo car and just bogging down the engine. You'll get a better feel for it the longer you drive it. The WRX isn't any easy car to drive. I've had my 02 for over 4 years and I still don't drive it smooth sometimes.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

If you are WOT at like 2K or less, it will have a little bit of a shutter. I noticed when I test drove a 06 TR it had a little bit of a jitter to it, and I think its something with the 2.5L and something different with the valve design of the 06. I noticed it when I drove the 06 and my 02 doesnt do it, so I think its a 06 thing.

I had the same thing on my '02 WRX, and the "grounding mod" eliminated it completely. I know some have bashed this mod, but I made the cable myself and probably had all of $5 in the thing. It was well worth it for me. I'll do it to the '06 when the desire hits me.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

i also noticed this, but a lot of it went away when i cleaned the air fiter out and even more when i replaced the air filter
    i noticed the same thing one in a while

I Support ClubWRX
    My 06 does not have a smooth powerband. You notice the stutter at 2-3k and then around 3,400 up to 5k. I havent had my car above 5k so I cant speak from there on up.

You really feel the OL/CL loop that alot of 04-05 guys complained about. It's liveable but not enjoyable.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Banned
    when the wrx is cold it is not a happy customer, once it is warmed up it is good to go. I notice some shudder on accell when cold but it goes away when it is warm so I just wrote it off as another boxer engine quirk.