Engine block gasket leak

This is a discussion on Engine block gasket leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A friend of mine with an '04 STi just got his car back from the dealership about a month or ...

Engine block gasket leak

A friend of mine with an '04 STi just got his car back from the dealership about a month or two ago for warranty repair of his 6MT synchros. Now the car is leaking oil from the gasket between the two halves of the block. Has anyone seen this kind of failure? Will it require a full rebuild due to the crank bearing location between the block halves, or could he just torque all the studs and hope it stops?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's worth a shot to torque it down but there's no guarantee. Are you sure the leak isn't from the mating surface of the gearbox to the block (IOW either left over gear oil or a motor oil but from the rear) since the gearbox has just been off?

EDIT: The more I think about it, the less I can understand how this could have happened. You're sure about the source, eh?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 12-08-2006 at 07:39 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Oil is pooling under and to the right of the throttle body. The dirty path leads back to the flange between the block halves in front of the pitch stop. IMHO, it's too far forward to be gear oil. All hosing and fittings up to the intake manifold have been removed and checked for leaks. If it isn't coming from that flange, I don't know where else it could be. I'm mainly worried about the condition of the bearings if there's been any movement between the block halves.

With my anti-SOA/stealership bias, I can imagine how it happened, but I'd rather not go there.
    Last edited by VVVV; 12-08-2006 at 12:03 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is there any chance, even state lottery odds or worse, that they pulled the IC when removing the gearbox to improve access from the top, and they just made a mess? I have never seen this type of failure and am trying to find a simpler solution.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.