Car break in period and first 4000 miles

This is a discussion on Car break in period and first 4000 miles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Would you WRX experts post hints and suggestions on what to do, and what to avoid in the first 3 ...

Car break in period and first 4000 miles

Would you WRX experts post hints and suggestions on what to do, and what to avoid in the first 3 / 4000 miles of our WRXs? (a 06 WRX sw in my case) to have a optimal break in and start the engine life as better as possible?

Driving hints?

Resist the urge of a early race?

Most logical and affordable improvements? ( sway bars...diff covers...splash guards...)

thought it might be helpful to all new owners like me..thank you!

car history:
    Mini cooper 1000
    Fiat 147
    Alfa Romeo Alfasud 1600
    FIAT Uno ( fire 1000 )
    Opel Astra
    93 Ford SW
    2001 Audi A4 18 t

Blue Pearl 06 WRX SW!!! :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlurr View Post
    Would you WRX experts post hints and suggestions on what to do, and what to avoid in the first 3 / 4000 miles of our WRXs? (a 06 WRX sw in my case) to have a optimal break in and start the engine life as better as possible?

Driving hints?

Resist the urge of a early race?

Most logical and affordable improvements? ( sway bars...diff covers...splash guards...)

thought it might be helpful to all new owners like me..thank you!

car history:
    Mini cooper 1000
    Fiat 147
    Alfa Romeo Alfasud 1600
    FIAT Uno ( fire 1000 )
    Opel Astra
    93 Ford SW
    2001 Audi A4 18 t

Blue Pearl 06 WRX SW!!! :P
    0-999 mi - keep the car under 4,000 rpms, dont floor it, vary your rpms.
    1,000 mi - get an oil change
    1,001 - 2,999 mi - drive normal
    3,000 mi - get an oil change

Driving hints? dont hit anything.
    Dont race until you are over 1,000mi.

Mods: Support Threads

No idea what an SW is. SportWagon?
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Oil change at 1000? It's brand new..I'm waiting my check at 3500? Oil still look pretty clean at 2000 (now)

yes SW SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlurr View Post
    Oil change at 1000? It's brand new..I'm waiting my check at 3500? Oil still look pretty clean at 2000 (now)

yes SW SportWagon
    You should get your oil changed at 1,000mi b/c during break-in metal particles could come off and then you have that in your oil. Flush those particles out for the next 2,000mi of driving.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Good advice then...thanks man...I'll do it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    You should get your oil changed at 1,000mi b/c during break-in metal particles could come off and then you have that in your oil. Flush those particles out for the next 2,000mi of driving.
    Yup.Thats for any motor.Even brand new lawmowers your supposed to give 2hr run time and change the oil.If you actually look at the oil if you change it you might see a silver sheen on it.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Ideally you should drive like a grandma for the first 1,000 or so miles. It's not like right at 1K you can drive like a maniac but take it easy.

I found it hard to control and discipline myself. Coming from a truck to a WRX, I could not resist the temptation to punch the thing. No, I didn't launch the car, race, or run WOT on the freeway. I did, however, drive it pretty much the same way I drive now. Did I do irreversible damage to my engine? I doubt it, but I know I didn't exactly help it either. Oh well, I have the extended warranty. In any case try not to dump the clutch when you shift, WRX transmissions aren't top of the line and have been known to be "weak" so shift smoothly. This applies to the life of the car.

I did an oil change at 1K, then at 3K I switched to Mobil 1.

Sway bars, stiffer and moderately lower springs are a good low cost improvement. Better tires, definitely. You can keep your stock wheels or get ones you like more, but better tires for sure. A Cobb AP might be something to look at. Perhaps find someone who's selling his STI TMIC and swap that in for your stock unit (not sure if you'd need a tune after this, I doubt it).

Well my previous car was an A4, 1.8t with tiptronic (that is not that bad compared to full auto ) so I am pretty used to smooth driving, and to be left back at the stop light since the stock A4 is NOT a fast car until you get in 3rd gear..eventually.

I actually have to think diffrently driving the WRX that is way more responsive and light, and less precise too of course. The heavy Audi could take a 45 mph downramp with ease, the WRX requires way more control at the same speed.
    That said I'm 41 so not exactly skidding at every stop light. But the temptationn to drive harder is there, especially on backroads, more than stoplights.
    I'm really loving the way the WRX handles, and after getting over the obvious differences...the Audi is really luxurious inside, i actually feel more at ease with the simplicity of SUB, and the engine is just great.
    But I still think and drive as an Audi, slow starts and 3rd gear speed up, that will have to change

Thanks for the good advices! Keep it coming!

I Support ClubWRX
    Although wear metals are elevated during the break in process, these particulates should never pose any risk to the motor. SOA is actually on the tail end with their recommendation of 3000+ for the first oil change; other firms will exceed 5,000 miles for the first drain and/or treat it no different than any other interval. Honda do not recommend any change interval at all, leaving it to software to sort out when the first, and every, oil change will be. I'd estimate my v6 will go beyond 5000 for the first oil change. VAG and BMW are similar.

There's little point in doing an oil analysis at less than 5K, so I've not, but I've done one much later having not changed the oil in the motor for the first 3K, then stretching the change intervals gradually from 3K to over 5K, and the 2.0 WRX motor was basically new (I posted the data at the time). If the 2.5 is similar in the design of its lube system, bearings, cams, and passages, I'd expect similar results.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Subaru doesn't recommend a 1000 mile oil change. Many people have agreed it is a waste. If particle's were to pose a threat to the engine's state of well-being, I am sure it would be addressed in the owner's manual.

Me-
    2,600 miles-first oil change
    5,800 miles-second oil change
    2006 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX
    SPT intake-Greddy weighted shiftknob-RallyArmor flaps-Tinted windows-Spoiler-5Zigen rims.

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove it off the lot, drove it like I stole it.

Next day got in drove it like I stole it.
    Next day got in drove it like I stole it.

Continued until 2800 miles then changed oil.

Repeat.

Now at 10k miles
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by RewsReX View Post
    Subaru doesn't recommend a 1000 mile oil change. Many people have agreed it is a waste. If particle's were to pose a threat to the engine's state of well-being, I am sure it would be addressed in the owner's manual.

Me-
    2,600 miles-first oil change
    5,800 miles-second oil change

well I'm around 2200 now...I guess saturday I'll use a oil change coupon..and get that diff cover...