White smoke...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on White smoke... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright, I've searched a billion threads and 99% of them were talking about exhausts, DP's, or turbos... And most of ...

White smoke...

Alright, I've searched a billion threads and 99% of them were talking about exhausts, DP's, or turbos... And most of them ended up being an oil leak somewhere.

My problem is a bit different. The white smoke is sweet smelling which leads me to believe its coolant/antifreeze that is burning off. The smoke seems to be coming off the stock header and coming up through the gap between the fans and the engine.

Background: My license has been suspended for a while now and the car usually get started every couple of days to keep all of the fluids running. I started her up last night for the first time in maybe a week and noticed the sweet smell, so I popped the hood and she was smoking like never before. It was also around 30 degrees F last night.

Has anyone had similar issues? Maybe your information would be a jumping off point for me.

MY 02 WRX
    TBE
    No engine management
    75k miles

Thanks guys.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not meaning to sound like a wiseass, but you have a coolant leak somewhere under the hood. Try pressure testing the system to find the leak.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Not meaning to sound like a wiseass, but you have a coolant leak somewhere under the hood. Try pressure testing the system to find the leak.
    +1

The cold could very well be the cause of the new leak depending on what type and amount of antifreeze you are running. If it froze and just busted your radiator, count yourself lucky.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Well, I've done a good amount of feeling around and checking for leaks and I don't see anything. I was thinking maybe condensation build-up between the head sheild and header?

Its not overly sweet smelling as if you spilled anitfreeze on an exhaust and warmed it up. I also don't have the plastic sheild under the car so if anything dripped it would hit the pavement and I haven't noticed any puddles or anything.

I will run a presure test as a precation though.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXDriver82 View Post
    Well, I've done a good amount of feeling around and checking for leaks and I don't see anything. I was thinking maybe condensation build-up between the head sheild and header?

Its not overly sweet smelling as if you spilled anitfreeze on an exhaust and warmed it up. I also don't have the plastic sheild under the car so if anything dripped it would hit the pavement and I haven't noticed any puddles or anything.

I will run a presure test as a precation though.
    Yeah pressure test is the only way to go.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

If I let her run (idle) for about 30 minutes and I did have a leak, would I notice a drop in the coolant tank? Dumb question...
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, I've had this. Looking at your avatar, I'd say your warranty is expired, otherwise you could have the dealer fix it and test it. Mine burned off before making a puddle, but the "smoke" was visable when idling especially.

When this happened, I did a search and multiple points were indicated that have caused problems for a variety of people. If you specify coolant leak you should get some useful locations to inspect, and I think there may have been a bulletin as well from the factory about one of the radiator connections. +10 on the pressure test as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXDriver82 View Post
    If I let her run (idle) for about 30 minutes and I did have a leak, would I notice a drop in the coolant tank? Dumb question...
    It all depends on conditions. Remember materials have different thermal expansion coefficients. Ie. when its cold outside the cracked plastic or metal can be shrunk and pulled apart and when hot expanded and pushed together to seal the leak. And they all expand and contract differently with respect to the different materials.

This is why a pressure test is the best route. Pressureize the system when its cold and check it out. Then if you get nothing, keep it pressureized and run it. You'll find it.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the seams on the radiator

Could be a busted freeze plug if it's in the area of the exhaust. Do your exhaust components get hot enough during your driveway idling to cause steam?

If I were you, I wouldn't bother starting the car every few days only to let it sit idling. Maybe have a friend or family member take it for a decent drive once a week or so.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.