Bad engine - rebuild or used?

This is a discussion on Bad engine - rebuild or used? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I need an engine in my 02 WRX....I already have it out in my garage. Should I rebuild my current ...

Bad engine - rebuild or used?

I need an engine in my 02 WRX....I already have it out in my garage.

Should I rebuild my current engine (block is good), or should I get a used engine from the junkyard?

There's a place in Denver called Colorado Component Rebuilders, has anyone ever used them? They are quoting me $3500 for a rebuilt engine with my exchange.....I can get a used engine from the junkyard for $2000 with a 90-day warranty.

I'm running an APS SR30 ball bearing with the big TMIC and about 1 bar PSI max....car has 84,000 miles

comments and suggestions please

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you could buy a built shortblock for cheaper than 3500, plus it would hold a lot more power

Check out this site

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subeng.htm

You can get a ej257(same as the sti) shortblock brand new for $1999!
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

what exactly is wrong with your current motor?

the EJ257 is a 2.5L right? what else would I have to get to make that work correctly??

well the motor sounds worse than a diesel (Extremely loud knocking) and wouldn't idle....I've taken everything off the engine but haven't seen anything yet, but I'm suspecting one of the piston skirts is gone....I'm hoping to finish disassembly tomorrow so I can know for sure....but I want to know what all my options are.....

also, I don't think it would make a difference, but I'm running an Exedy racing clutch stage 1 with a 13.9 ACT flywheel.....I don't want to go overboard, but I don't mind extra power, etc... I need to keep this car as a daily driver, I don't autocross or drag or anything more than a friendly reminder to hondas that subarus are better

Quote Originally Posted by evilenv View Post
    the EJ257 is a 2.5L right? what else would I have to get to make that work correctly??

well the motor sounds worse than a diesel (Extremely loud knocking) and wouldn't idle....I've taken everything off the engine but haven't seen anything yet, but I'm suspecting one of the piston skirts is gone....I'm hoping to finish disassembly tomorrow so I can know for sure....but I want to know what all my options are.....

also, I don't think it would make a difference, but I'm running an Exedy racing clutch stage 1 with a 13.9 ACT flywheel.....I don't want to go overboard, but I don't mind extra power, etc... I need to keep this car as a daily driver, I don't autocross or drag or anything more than a friendly reminder to hondas that subarus are better

2.5L will mate up to your wrx heads. My concern would be what kind of damage they may have sustained. YOu pull the plugs on the motor and check em out? Were they ok?

Honestly though the largest concern that I would have with going w/an EJ257 on a wrx would be the transmission lasting after everything is said and done.

As long as the block is OK, I would do a rebuild unless you are having it done by someone else. I prefer to do the work myself, other than the machining.

If you're paying someone else to put it together, I would just go with a Cobb Tuner Series or something like that, especially if your motor is acceptable for a core.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

I pulled the plugs and they look fine....no time to tear down the rest of the engine today (had to work on bike so I can ride to work today)...

if I get a 2.5 block and put my heads on it (as long as they are good), would I need anything else? all the accesories will bolt on? and the sensors, etc are all the same?