Gas Smell
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Gas Smell within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First off...CHEERS!! I haven't been on here in some time (since I got married). Second, I've got a gas smell ...

Exclamation Gas Smell

First off...CHEERS!! I haven't been on here in some time (since I got married).

Second, I've got a gas smell comeing from under the hood...especially when the fans kick on. This only happens when it's cold outside too. I moved from Amarillo Texas (higher elevation and colder temps) to Fort Worth Texas where it is much warmer but still gets cold (it was in the 20's last night).

So, I guess my question is this...have any others had this issue? It's a pretty strong gas smell, and it'll creep into the car if you have the AC or Vents on (of course). I took it to a Subaru Dealership and a local shop I know and neither could find any gas leaks. I looked under the hood myself and under the car. I can't find any spots or smells directly. I can only smell it when it's cold outside and when the fans are kicking it up (or into the car trough the vents).

I really don't know what to do. Hoping some others have had this issue and might be able to give some advice or maybe reference someone that has some knowledge on this kind of issue.

-Terry

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you search for 'gas smell' you will find lots of threads on this. The 02's had a technical service bulletin released for a possible fuel leak when cold:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2886

Experience has varied - I just got this today for the first time (it's ~25 out right now) and I don't see fuel, just smell it. Some people have seen a puddle of fuel on the engine block.

I'm going to see if I can get a longer hose on the metal lines without taking off the intake manifold - I'm getting Perrin lines soon and don't want to have to work on this twice.

Yup, I have seen this before.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

i am having this same problem right now it just started a few weeks ago also when it get really cold out.... one morning i started my car and jumped under the hood really fast to look at my fuel lines to see signes of leeking and sure enough it starts to come out at the rubber section of line that lead to the cylinder on the drivers side most front..... woundering if you guys know how to go abouts fixing this issue ???
    Chris-
    05 STI- APS CAI, Apexi T-timer, BFG G-Force KDWs, Turbo XS catless turbo back, Perrin Crank Pulley, OPEN ECU tune, new ACT clutch kit and lightweight Flywheel
    13.6sec 1/4mile at 5,285ft elevation not on new clutch and FW
    BLOBEYE SYN...... #188

do you have a catless downpipe?

Subaru released a TSB on it, good luck getting it fixed. The intake manifold has to be pulled in order to do it.

mine is doing the same. I'm waiting on the parts to come in to fix it. It's $100.00 for the 2 pieces. the tsb number is 09-36-03

Good Luck
    Brian
    Rev'n Seven Motorsports And Quad City Boxer Four
    02 WRX Wagon 13.6@99mph 1.90 60 foot

This thread may be useful. I suppose now the cold weather is covering most of the country, this problem is occurring. Have noticed several posts on the subject. Anyway, one member claims not having to remove the manifold.

Really strong smell of gas.
    Last edited by dcpatters; 12-12-2006 at 08:53 AM.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

That was me. In order to fix it the way the TSB says, then yes, you have to pull the manifold. I have a Perrin turbo inlet hose - I just pulled it off and had easy access to the rubber lines. I replaced the rubber with longer lines and double clamped both ends. The clamps that are on there are crazy loose from the factory...

do you have a catless downpipe?

nope i still have the stock uppipe with the cat
    Chris-
    05 STI- APS CAI, Apexi T-timer, BFG G-Force KDWs, Turbo XS catless turbo back, Perrin Crank Pulley, OPEN ECU tune, new ACT clutch kit and lightweight Flywheel
    13.6sec 1/4mile at 5,285ft elevation not on new clutch and FW
    BLOBEYE SYN...... #188

Yes there is a fix and a TSB on it. We did one the other day that solved the problem.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I had the same problem with my car. I complained to the dealership enough times, and SOA is covering it under my classic warranty, so its costing me $50 to have the TSB done.

I was able to fix mine and it wasn't a fun job. It took me 10 hrs to do the job, and regret not taking some where to get it done

Later
    Brian
    Rev'n Seven Motorsports And Quad City Boxer Four
    02 WRX Wagon 13.6@99mph 1.90 60 foot

Quote Originally Posted by JaredRS View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old post, but I had the same problem with my car. I complained to the dealership enough times, and SOA is covering it under my classic warranty, so its costing me $50 to have the TSB done.
    I'm going to the dealer today to have the TSB repair done and I have every intention of getting the cost covered under warranty. I'll let you all know how it works out (my mother's a lawyer so that will probably show up in the conversation at some point ).

Oh, and what was the $50 charge for? I want to have as good references as possible for when I go in.

Quote Originally Posted by SwisSlesS View Post
    Oh, and what was the $50 charge for? I want to have as good references as possible for when I go in.
    The $50 is the deductible I have on the classic warranty.

Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.