Storage of WRX through a New England Winter question...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Storage of WRX through a New England Winter question... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I will be storing my 02 WRX in my garage over the winter and through the spring and summer. ...

Storage of WRX through a New England Winter question...

So I will be storing my 02 WRX in my garage over the winter and through the spring and summer. If you're wondering why I'm storing it so long its because my license is suspended till September.

I live in New England and it gets pretty cold up here. Since its been off the road I start her up about every two days and get her warm just to keep the fluids moving. Is there anything else I should do to prevent any engine problems next fall? Should I let her run more often than that? I do have a big enough back yard where I could drive my car in it, should I take her "out for a walk" every so often to keep the brake fluid moving as well, or will pumping the brakes be satisfactory while shes running? I've never stored a car for this long and I hope I never have to again.

BTW, it is a 4EAT.

Thanks in advance!
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com
    Great site for anyone in the north east.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRXDriver82 View Post
    because my license is suspended till September.
    What did you do to lose it for so long?

Well it wasn't street racing or reckless driving. I'm pretty ashamed of what I did, so I'll leave you to fill in the blanks.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com

dui? possession and transportation? what?
    07 white STi in CT

Your first guess was correct.

Anyway, I'm not concerned with what I did. I'm not looking for people to start bashing what I did nor am I looking for sympathy. I've been dealt my sentence and I'm living with it.

I just want to know what I can do to prevent any head aches for next fall.
    NEW ENGLAND F4

TUNERNetwork.com

Keep a full tank of gas....this will reduce the chance of moisture collecting in your tank....and i would say to put STA-BIL in the tank but i dont know how good that would be for the motor when you drive it again the following year....im sure someone has the correct answer though....good luck
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

If you leave fuel in the tank make sure it's full (as stated) and make sure to put a stabilizer in it. I'd put the car on jack stands, hook up a trickle charger, drain/flush all the fluids and put in new, fresh fluids. Put a box of baking soda inside the cabin to absorb any odors, some silica gel to absorb moisture wouldn't be bad. A car cover to keep the dust off of it perhaps.

If you do all of the above, starting it once a month for a few minutes, turning on the A/C to circulate the oil in the system, and make sure everything still moves and runs properly shouldn't hurt, I don't think. If it's on jack stands you could actually throw it in gear and slowly just let off on the clutch only and let the wheels turn. This will help your tranny and diff move and get the oil flowing in there too, as well as the CV joints and such. Slowly turn the steering wheel maybe, just make sure nothing gets stuck due to corrosion or something.

As far as driving it around in your back yard, well if you can do that every few days then you might not even need to do anything to it really.

Hopefully if anything I wrote is incorrect or a bad idea someone more knowledgeable will come along to correct it. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.