Whistle at Speed
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Whistle at Speed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, I own a Blue Pearl 06 WRX SW Stock. I'm up to 1300 miles on my 06 WRX ...

Whistle at Speed

Hi all, I own a Blue Pearl 06 WRX SW Stock.

I'm up to 1300 miles on my 06 WRX SW, I'm starting to get confident and opening up a bit, when and where I can, usually coming back from the climbing gym late at night.
    I have this loud whistle developing past 110 MPH coming from the right side, apparently from the right outside mirror or somewhere around that area. It's not accompanied by vibration or else so I would exclude mechanical friction against the wheel. I never whent past that speed yet I want to know first what is going on.

I felt something similar at very low speed when turning tight around in a OB-XT that I test drove, and the dealer said it was the sway bar touching the wheel.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The mirrors howl at high speed.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is normal. It is usually dependant on the wind cross flow too. It can be very loud at times. First time I heard it, I thought it was one of my tires howling. Scared me.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Yes, it sounds pretty dramatic....I noticed a little space bethween the out mirrors and the body that may act as a whistle, I wonder why it oes it only on the passenger's side.
    I'll try to fill those spaces up with some silicon and see what happens.
    Hum, maybe try with some tape first to isolate the problem

Window Gusset more than likely.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
    Window Gusset more than likely.
    Yes. Actually the window seal.

The driver one goes around the window glass nicely, the passenger one leaves a bit of the glass edge out, near the upper corner causing the whistle probably.

I'll ask Subaru to change it at 3500 when I take the car back for the first check.
    Last edited by BlueBlurr; 12-18-2006 at 12:19 PM.

They can and most likely will adjust it. No need to change it as a new one can do that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfang View Post
    They can and most likely will adjust it. No need to change it as a new one can do that as well.

well on the other hand is kind of fun when you ride with someone and get the whistle at 110 MPH

"What's that"?

(ME) "Oh nothing...the wheel on your side is a bit loose" ( while accelerating more)
    look on their face? Priceless

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.