WRX was towed incorrectly...damages?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX was towed incorrectly...damages? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, I was in a car accident last week and they did not use a flatbed truck to tow ...

WRX was towed incorrectly...damages?

Hi everyone,

I was in a car accident last week and they did not use a flatbed truck to tow my WRX. They towed it like a normal car with its front wheels off the ground and the rear wheels on the ground. This is my first AWD car, and after the shock of seeing my subie hurt and while giving a statement to the police I didn't even think about how it has to be towed on a flatbed.

Now I cannot change the gear in my car. The shifter is stuck in one position and I cannot move it at all. This was not a problem after the accident, as I put it into first and turned the vehicle off after the wreck. So I'm thinking this was caused by their improper towing but I want to be sure. What exactly happens when you incorrectly tow the WRX?

And will they be liable for the damages done to my car? The police called the tow truck to tow my car and they did not even come up to me to ask me anything about the car. What options do I have to make them pay up?

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well usually tow companies, AAA, etc have a list of AWD cars. Subaru Impreza's are all AWD and they should of sent a flat bed. However, tow companies arent dumb and are usually NEVER responsible for the car during or after the tow.

Your car is eff'd, but maybe you can just get it fixed as a part of the "accident."

If you caused the accident, well hope the car is totaled cus the differential is shot and it sounds like ur tranny is done.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT

If you caused the accident, well hope the car is totaled cus the differential is shot and it sounds like ur tranny is done.
    +1

sorry to hear your subie was hurt
    +1 to the diff and tranny shot
    if it was left in first when they towed it then
    hope it was the other guys fault

Shouldn't towing companies know?? All subaru are AWD. They also are designated AWD with the sticker on the rear window... I would be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    Shouldn't towing companies know?? All subaru are AWD. They also are designated AWD with the sticker on the rear window... I would be pissed.
    ive always asked this question to everyone. if my car got towed improperly what would happen? i still don't know. probably can sue the towing company directly.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry to read this. Please keep us posted.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Shouldn't towing companies know?? All subaru are AWD.
    All Subarus since 1998

I feel like their defense would be "the owner was present and didnt say anything when they saw the tow and not flat-bed"
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Yup, sorry to say but your differential, viscous coupling (center differential) and transmission are all shot to hell. The manual specifically states the car must be towed on a flat bed, or at the very least towed with all four wheels on the ground (much like an RV towing an SUV behind it).

I'm surprised the car didn't fly off the tow bars or whatever was used, since the front wheels would have spun as well.

The tow truck driver should have a hot piece of rebar rammed up his... for being such a complete and utter dolt. This isn't even my car and I'm pissed to hear about it. First the accident then this, it's like salt in the wound.

Don't know about your options, but more than likely the tow company will not be legally liable for destroying your car.

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by TheFNG; 11-29-2006 at 12:30 AM.

man sorry to hear... keep us updated
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Ouch! Yeah it's done for.
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

back about 10 years ago, my mom suffered 2 flats in her 1990 corvette (ran over debris or something) on the highway.. a flat bed came to tow her and when they came, they lowered the flat bed onto the hood of the vette (he needed to go forward another 6-8 ft) .. needless to say the tow company paid for all the repairs.. i would stick it to the towing company.. they tow cars for a living, they should know what the hell they are towing!! if they say you as the owner are responsible for telling them that, then what happens if you needed to be hospitalized? towing companies MUST know this!
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02 View Post
    back about 10 years ago, my mom suffered 2 flats in her 1990 corvette (ran over debris or something) on the highway.. a flat bed came to tow her and when they came, they lowered the flat bed onto the hood of the vette (he needed to go forward another 6-8 ft) .. needless to say the tow company paid for all the repairs.. i would stick it to the towing company.. they tow cars for a living, they should know what the hell they are towing!! if they say you as the owner are responsible for telling them that, then what happens if you needed to be hospitalized? towing companies MUST know this!
    +1 go after the towing company. in other areas of business if people screw up they are held liable, why not for towing companies? they provide a service and if they screw up it is their responsibility.
    2005 WRX
    UTEC Stage 2 (Catless)

250.02 WHP
    249.27 WTQ
    Junior Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    All Subarus since 1998
    1996 was the first year where all Subaru models were AWD.

they made the legacy and Impreza in a FWD in 1995.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast