02 WRX Cam Gear

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Cam Gear within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; a friend of mine just recently had to get his WRX repaired due to a broken cam gear. he's the ...

02 WRX Cam Gear

a friend of mine just recently had to get his WRX repaired due to a broken cam gear. he's the type that doesnt race pr push the car to the limit, however the cam gear decided to take a **** on him on normal driving. he is the 4th owner with 100K on the car. i was told the cam gear is made of plastic, and broken because of that. this is a first i heard of a cam gear breaking under normal driving, but then again it could of had broken from one of the previous owners driving it. he's gonna have it replaced with either steel or billet material. how often does this type of issue come up?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fst100 View Post
    a friend of mine just recently had to get his WRX repaired due to a broken cam gear. he's the type that doesnt race pr push the car to the limit, however the cam gear decided to take a **** on him on normal driving. he is the 4th owner with 100K on the car. i was told the cam gear is made of plastic, and broken because of that. this is a first i heard of a cam gear breaking under normal driving, but then again it could of had broken from one of the previous owners driving it. he's gonna have it replaced with either steel or billet material. how often does this type of issue come up?

I'm not saying it doesnt happen, but I have yet to hear about it. Somethings just fail.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    That is the first actual failure I've heard of. Normally they get cracked or broken in a front end collision. Has the car been repaired recently?

i dont know if it was repaired recently before my friend bought it. i was told the car was originally used as a company car, but thats only speculation since its hard to tell even if it was carfaxed. the only mod that i know of that was done was the replacement of the muffler to a prodrive exhaust. hes using the car a a DD

i dont know if it was repaired recently before my friend bought it. i was told the car was originally used as a company car, but thats only speculation since its hard to tell even if it was carfaxed. the only mod that i know of that was done was the replacement of the muffler to a prodrive exhaust. hes using the car a a DD

i was told the car was originally used as a company car...the only mod that i know of that was done was the replacement of the muffler to a prodrive exhaust.
    Two things that don't go together typically... I would guess the car has been modded. Did you actually get teh car carfaxed? It should show any major repair if it was done by a dealer etc. If it was done in a shop you won't see it for sure..

again i dont know, its my friends car and i havent asked him whether he did the research or not. here are pics he posted on his page that i'll post here:

The first 2 are the broken gear on the motor. The 3rd picture is what broke off of the cam gear and timing cover.