06 oil change interval ?'s
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

This is a discussion on 06 oil change interval ?'s within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my oil changed at 3000 for my 06 wrx. The dealer put the little sticker to remind ...

  1. #1
    Registered User RewsReX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22

    06 oil change interval ?'s

    I just got my oil changed at 3000 for my 06 wrx. The dealer put the little sticker to remind me i am due in another 3000. However, the manual states it should be changed every 7500 with conventional oil. So i will be going back in 7500, because it saves me money and if the manufacturer says 7500. i think its ok to trust Subaru owners manuals over a service dept. Just out of curiosity, why is the oil change interval (7500miles) so much longer than any other vehicle i've owned or heard of?
    Last edited by RewsReX; 11-26-2006 at 09:24 PM.
    2006 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX
    SPT intake-Greddy weighted shiftknob-RallyArmor flaps-Tinted windows-Spoiler-5Zigen rims.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User ssnataku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3
    I change my oil at every 2,500miles with synthetic only. I recommend you do the same or don't go over 3,000miles. Its better to change it out before it breaks down and you have to remember you have a turbo'ed car.
    Black 03 Impreza WRX (Fully Rebuilt Motor 15,xxx Miles )
    Stromung Cat Back Exhaust
    Upper Front Tower Brace
    Stage 1

  4. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RewsReX View Post
    I just got my oil changed at 3000 for my 06 wrx. The dealer put the little sticker to remind me i am due in another 3000. However, the manual states it should be changed every 7500 with conventional oil. So i will be going back in 7500, because it saves me money and if the manufacturer says 7500. i think its ok to trust Subaru owners manuals over a service dept. Just out of curiosity, why is the oil change interval (7500miles) so much longer than any other vehicle i've owned or heard of?
    If you are going to go by the manual make sure you read ALL the manual. There is a disclaimer in the 7500 mile suggestion stating that this is in idea conditions. If you live somewhere that's overly dusty, has extream cold, extream heat, or you do alot of stop and go traffic, then 3500 is what they recommand I think. It also states to contact your local service dept. for their suggestion.

    I personally would not stretch any oil to 7500. Something like Mobile 1 with a good filter might be okay till around 5k. But most dino oil's I'd want out of there at 3-3500 miles.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    elk grove ca
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnataku View Post
    I change my oil at every 2,500miles with synthetic only. I recommend you do the same or don't go over 3,000miles. Its better to change it out before it breaks down and you have to remember you have a turbo'ed car.
    that is a complete waste unless you live in an icey dusty desert...
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Zurich, IL
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrex02 View Post
    that is a complete waste unless you live in an icey dusty desert...
    how is it a waste???? Peac of mind IMO. I change mine every 2000 or 2500 at most. Better to have fresh oil in there and spend a few bucks instead of paying thousands for a new motor and turbo when they blow up cause you have old crappy oil in it.

  7. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccgyver View Post
    how is it a waste???? Peac of mind IMO. I change mine every 2000 or 2500 at most. Better to have fresh oil in there and spend a few bucks instead of paying thousands for a new motor and turbo when they blow up cause you have old crappy oil in it.
    We arent in the 1950's and oil doesnt break down nearly as bad as it used to. Next time you change it take some out and send it to Blacklab (I think that's what it's called) to have it analyzed. They will tell you how long you can go before it starts to break down. You'll probaly be more then surprised to know that 3500 miles on most DINO oils isnt hurting anything as long as the filter is good.

    I would say if you are changing it before 3 then you are tossing money away, hey I change mine at 3 and realize I'm tossing money away doing it.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    elk grove ca
    Posts
    925
    ok, i guess oil breakdown is like a clock, as soon as you hit 2000 or 2500 on it immediately breakes down even conventional oil wouldnt start breaking down at that interval much less synthetic unless you drive a race car in an icey/dusty desert.. i do 3000-3500 intervals and my oil still comes out clean.. but whatever, to each his own
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    S. Portland, ME
    Posts
    1,026
    I think most mfgers recommend in the 5000 - 7500 mile range for oil changes with the * about driving conditions. 3000 will be recommended by oil companies and service techs because it is safe and makes them money. 5000 - 7500 is probably more realistic, but if you drive your car hard or in adverse conditions might cause you to be running on oil that is no longer properly functioning resulting in premature wear. Running an oil for 7500 miles in any car will almost certainly not cause the engine to seize or blow up, but over the lifetime of the engine could cause a substantial loss in performance and shortened lifespan.

    I change my oil at 3000 just for ease of mind while everything I have seen seems to show that you can easily run a good oil 7500 with no ill effects. I would suggest doing an oil analysis a couple of times to make sure your driving habits aren't too strenuous for a 7500 interval and maybe doing one analysis a year to make sure as your car ages and your driving habits change the 7500 interval is still appropriate.

    Here is a link to a company that does oil analysis. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
    New England F4

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99 View Post
    205 whp on a STOCK wrx??? I find that to be a bit hard to believe. My 2006 WRX ran 188 whp with Injen CAI, HKS BOV, HKS Downpipe and HKS carbon ti exhaust... How can a STOCK WRX run 205 whp??? I'd like to see dyno sheets to back that one up...

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Zurich, IL
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    We arent in the 1950's and oil doesnt break down nearly as bad as it used to. Next time you change it take some out and send it to Blacklab (I think that's what it's called) to have it analyzed. They will tell you how long you can go before it starts to break down. You'll probaly be more then surprised to know that 3500 miles on most DINO oils isnt hurting anything as long as the filter is good.

    I would say if you are changing it before 3 then you are tossing money away, hey I change mine at 3 and realize I'm tossing money away doing it.
    I don't mind the 20 bucks every oil change. Ain't breaking my bank, besides who wants to get their oil analyzed that seems a little overkill. I drive my car alot of short distances and temps do get extreme in the chi-town area so I do not see the waste in changing it a bit early especially since I do my own and don't pay a dealer outrageous amounts to do it. Cleaner the oil is the better period. PLain and simple. Do what you want but I am sticking with my intervals.

  11. #10
    Registered User RewsReX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22
    hm maybe 5000 is a better number to shoot for maybe a little sooner because of winter...3000 is way too soon IMO if the maintenance book recommends 7500. I drive 100 miles a day 4 days a week and 3000 is there in a matter of weeks. Keeping in mind 80% of my driving is highway cruising and country roads. dust really isn't an issue around here, but the winters are cold and summer are hot in NJ.
    I have $10 dino oil changes for life from the dealer as long as I get the oil changed 4 times a year. If I have to change it at 3000 idc but I would like to avoid depleting the earth's oil supply and changing it when it don't need to.

    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    If you are going to go by the manual make sure you read ALL the manual. There is a disclaimer in the 7500 mile suggestion stating that this is in idea conditions. If you live somewhere that's overly dusty, has extream cold, extream heat, or you do alot of stop and go traffic, then 3500 is what they recommand I think.
    Just curious, where does it state this?
    Last edited by RewsReX; 11-27-2006 at 01:44 PM.
    2006 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX
    SPT intake-Greddy weighted shiftknob-RallyArmor flaps-Tinted windows-Spoiler-5Zigen rims.

  12. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RewsReX View Post
    hm maybe 5000 is a better number to shoot for maybe a little sooner because of winter...3000 is way too soon IMO if the maintenance book recommends 7500. I drive 100 miles a day 4 days a week and 3000 is there in a matter of weeks. Keeping in mind 80% of my driving is highway cruising and country roads. dust really isn't an issue around here, but the winters are cold and summer are hot in NJ.
    I have $10 dino oil changes for life from the dealer as long as I get the oil changed 4 times a year. If I have to change it at 3000 idc but I would like to avoid depleting the earth's oil supply and changing it when it don't need to.

    Just curious, where does it state this?
    I dont have mine in front of me but I remember reading it. I saw 7500 and I thought that was crazy, read on some more and it said "Idea conditions only" or something of that sort.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  13. #12
    Registered User RewsReX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22
    ooohh. well i looked in the maintanence booklet. 3750 for severve conditions. their defintion of severe is cold weather below 32 degrees, hot weather above 75 degrees, frequent stop and go driving, frequent rapid acceleration and deceleration. thanks for the heads up i will be changing at 3500-3750 now.

    ps. the maintenance guide is very misleading, who really drives a wrx in "ideal" conditions anyway. it really doesnt strike me as a car made to be babied IMHO.
    Last edited by RewsReX; 11-27-2006 at 03:28 PM.
    2006 Obsidian Black Pearl WRX
    SPT intake-Greddy weighted shiftknob-RallyArmor flaps-Tinted windows-Spoiler-5Zigen rims.

  14. #13
    Resident meany-rator 06wrx4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    11,435
    I Support ClubWRX
    I change it every 3k miles with conventional. So far I see no need to make the switch to Synthetic on the engine. I see no breakdown at 3k miles like I did in my old car before I made the switch. Thats a testament to the engines oil system design cause the 110+ degree summers out here in Cali usually kill oil life. Plus i drive it like I stole it everyday.

    So I recommend 5w30 conventional every 3000 with filter ofcourse.

    I am planning on changing to synthetic in the tranny and Diffs though, to help it live a little longer and shift smoother. I am convinced MT90 was the only reason why my old cars tranny held together.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 11-27-2006 at 03:48 PM. Reason: grammer shmammer

  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lake Zurich, IL
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by RewsReX View Post
    hm maybe 5000 is a better number to shoot for maybe a little sooner because of winter...3000 is way too soon IMO if the maintenance book recommends 7500. I drive 100 miles a day 4 days a week and 3000 is there in a matter of weeks. Keeping in mind 80% of my driving is highway cruising and country roads. dust really isn't an issue around here, but the winters are cold and summer are hot in NJ.
    I have $10 dino oil changes for life from the dealer as long as I get the oil changed 4 times a year. If I have to change it at 3000 idc but I would like to avoid depleting the earth's oil supply and changing it when it don't need to.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Were not here for that long mine as well use what we can while we are here. Not sure changing mine in short intervals is really depleting our resources that much. Otherwise I would have gotten a call from the govt. about it already.

    Just curious, where does it state this?

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LA area
    Posts
    155
    Oil is cheap insurance.


    I changed mine at 1K. At 3K I changed it again, but to Mobil 1 with Mobil 1 filter. This costs me about $50 per oil change and I do it myself. I change at 3K or four months, whichever comes sooner. Throwing a little money away? Eh, like I said, it's pretty cheap insurance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •