WEIRD shaking!!

This is a discussion on WEIRD shaking!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey I'm new to these forums and I have a question. I just bought a 2003 WRX from a dealer ...

Angry WEIRD shaking!!

Hey I'm new to these forums and I have a question. I just bought a 2003 WRX from a dealer and when I test drove it it was fine. Turbo was kicking in good everything was smooth. Brought the car home last night and when in 2nd gear I start accelerating for turbo to kick in the car shakes as if it is going to stall and in 3rd gear does the same but a loud BANG follows. The bang is almost like a rock hitting the hood of the car but 20x louder scary s@#! The guy at the dealer is an idiot first off I don't think he used 91oct gas and I know he definately didn't put synthetic oil in the car when he did the oil change. I know this for a fact because I found the company receipt for the oil change inside the car. Could this be causing the car to be acting weird?? Anyways I'm going to the dealer again but I was wondering could this be reparable and what can it be??? Anyone with some info that can help me I appreciate it. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Those sound like pretty scary symptoms to me, at least the bang! part. Drive it nice and easy back to the dealer and see if they can diagnose.

Any modifications to the car?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by wrx man View Post
    Hey I'm new to these forums and I have a question. I just bought a 2003 WRX from a dealer and when I test drove it it was fine. Turbo was kicking in good everything was smooth. Brought the car home last night and when in 2nd gear I start accelerating for turbo to kick in the car shakes as if it is going to stall and in 3rd gear does the same but a loud BANG follows. The bang is almost like a rock hitting the hood of the car but 20x louder scary s@#! The guy at the dealer is an idiot first off I don't think he used 91oct gas and I know he definately didn't put synthetic oil in the car when he did the oil change. I know this for a fact because I found the company receipt for the oil change inside the car. Could this be causing the car to be acting weird?? Anyways I'm going to the dealer again but I was wondering could this be reparable and what can it be??? Anyone with some info that can help me I appreciate it. Thanks.
    Hey, fist welcome to the site.

Synthetic oil is NOT required for our cars. so dont worry about that.

Did you start off in 1st gear and then shift to 2nd and it started to shake? What RPM's?

Odds are you tried to drive from 2nd or 3rd gear near or under 2000rpms. the car was shaking b/c the engine was under too much load as you were in too HIGH of a gear. Try downshifting next time and it will work out. Or, just give the car more gas and the RPM's will build and the shake will go away.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Hey, fist welcome to the site.

Synthetic oil is NOT required for our cars. so dont worry about that.

Did you start off in 1st gear and then shift to 2nd and it started to shake? What RPM's?

Odds are you tried to drive from 2nd or 3rd gear near or under 2000rpms. the car was shaking b/c the engine was under too much load as you were in too HIGH of a gear. Try downshifting next time and it will work out. Or, just give the car more gas and the RPM's will build and the shake will go away.
    +2 learning to drive the wrx in a happy powerband took awhile for me and I have a 2.5 meaning more torque.

The loud bang was probaly the diff. clunk that you get if you are shifting to fast. If you are trying to drive the car hard and you hear that clank then you need to slow down your shifting and let the tranny/clutch do it's job without forcing it.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Good call, Chris. I didn't even think about him lugging the engine.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Good call, Chris. I didn't even think about him lugging the engine.
    I try!
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    +2 learning to drive the wrx in a happy powerband took awhile for me and I have a 2.5 meaning more torque.

The loud bang was probaly the diff. clunk that you get if you are shifting to fast. If you are trying to drive the car hard and you hear that clank then you need to slow down your shifting and let the tranny/clutch do it's job without forcing it.
    +1 agreed, it was the diff most likely.

Smile Weird shaking cont'

thanks for the insight, really appreciate it since its the first time a own a suby and a car with turbo so I'm not used to what is normal and not normal. It went like this... I was driving to merge onto a highway/freeway I was in 2nd gear everything was good until I hit 4k-5k RPM's and thats when it made the shaking then in 3rd I was giving it gas so I could shift to 4th and the loud BANG! as if something in there broke. Some mods are VF35, JE pistons, Eagle H beams, Cosworth cams, FMIC. Thanks guys.

I Support ClubWRX

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks for the insight, really appreciate it since its the first time a own a suby and a car with turbo so I'm not used to what is normal and not normal. It went like this... I was driving to merge onto a highway/freeway I was in 2nd gear everything was good until I hit 4k-5k RPM's and thats when it made the shaking then in 3rd I was giving it gas so I could shift to 4th and the loud BANG! as if something in there broke. Some mods are VF35, JE pistons, Eagle H beams, Cosworth cams, FMIC. Thanks guys.
    If it was that high in the rpm range then you might have had knock and the ECU pulled timing. If this is the case I have no idea where the clunk would come from. It's possible that it's the diff and that's probaly the most likely thing, but it might have been something internal motor wise.

I'd look into getting TIC bushings for the car. Is the motor a ej205 or ej207? Odds are someone has beat the crap out of that car previosuly.

I was driving to merge onto a highway/freeway I was in 2nd gear everything was good until I hit 4k-5k RPM's and thats when it made the shaking then in 3rd I was giving it gas so I could shift to 4th and the loud BANG! as if something in there broke.

Some mods are VF35, JE pistons, Eagle H beams, Cosworth cams, FMIC. Thanks guys.
    Uh, now i have no idea what caused the shaking. Those are some odd mods, not the usual stuff. What type of engine management are you using? Maybe its a really bad tune. New pistons? cams? VF35? I dont even know what a VF35 is. Do you mean VF34?
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 11-27-2006 at 08:28 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Uh, now i have no idea what caused the shaking. Those are some odd mods, not the usual stuff. What type of engine management are you using? Maybe its a really bad tune. New pistons? cams? VF35? I dont even know what a VF35 is. Do you mean VF34?
    The VF35 is a strong midrange turbo. It's right in between a TD04 and a VF34

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    The VF35 is a strong midrange turbo. It's right in between a TD04 and a VF34
    Ah. But why would he have new pistons and cams? i think the pervious owner just went online and bought anything that would fit.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah. But why would he have new pistons and cams? i think the pervious owner just went online and bought anything that would fit.
    Who knows

I Support ClubWRX
    Probaly popped the old motor and tossed something together to either unload it or get a larger turbo and never got around to it.

I'd be interested as to who has tuned this thing with those cams, and where he is revving the motor to.

i would take the car back and get your money back. those are some screwy mods and i wouldn't want to deal with that.
    proud owner of a 2004 Subaru WRX STI, silver on silver (pics should be taken when i get home on dec 8)

Toyota Celica GT-S (my baby who got run over by a drunk driver)