Right front tire worn?

This is a discussion on Right front tire worn? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just had the dealer change my oil and they said my right front tire was worn and the others need ...

Right front tire worn?

Just had the dealer change my oil and they said my right front tire was worn and the others need rep. soon.....Ive only got 32k? So, i checked out the RF tire to find the inside edge worn out almost to the steel.

Isnt this a alignment/chamber problem that the dealer should have seen 3k miles ago at the last oil change and/or 3 rotations ago???? Ive also got the "extended" 100k warranty? So what are my options here? Is this a AWD characteristic? Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You might have several issues. The tires could have been under inflated which could cause pre-mature wear or if you are really hard on your car the tires can wear quickly due to the AWD.

The stock tires usually arent much good past 40k miles anyway. To be honest you more then likely would have been replacing them around this time anyway.

The warranty will not cover alignment or tires. Any good shop/garage/dealership would have told you about your tires if they noticed them since that is usually an easy 60 dollar alignment job.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Welcome to the club.... are you talking about an STi or A WRX ?
    most people i know w/ STi's have to replace their tires before 20k miles
    under inflation could be what caused... alot of people dont know that cold air compresses so in the winter the psi in ur tire will go down a little bit
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

If one tire is all the way to the steel on one part of the tire, its a bad suspension problem. Correct that they should be covering it under warranty for the suspension problem, but there is no chance you are going to get new tires out of it at 32K. IT WILL JUST NOT HAPPEN! But being at 32k isnt all that much of a loss needing a new tire/(3 other tires with 32k should be pretty worn anyways) it would be worth searching for a new set of tires that you would like to drive on since I havent heard great things about the RE092s if that is what you are running. Have the dealer fix the problem, either bad bushing, or bad upper strut mount will cause the tire to wear funky like that. Then get new tires, but dont let the dealer push you around saying that you need to buy tires from them if all they are going to sell you is RE92s and or jack the price up on any other tire they are going to sell you.

I would check out some tires on tirerack.com. Just don't take the numbers too seriously on the survey results as they are basically just people's opinions. but check these out!

Potenza E96AS

But I would agree mostly with the results considering the RE92's got a score of 2.2 when people were asked if they would buy them again.

I Support ClubWRX
    First post? Welcome to the club!

Please go here and formally introduce yourself:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/new-member-hangout/

32k on RE92s is OK. As stated above you would be better off with pretty much any other tire. You might want to consider the Falken Ziex Ze 512

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/750/ << I have bought from and would highly recommend them.

Whatever tire you decide on, be sure to get an alignment along with the new tires.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Just some info to add if I may.

There are alot of factors here regarding this and I cant speak for your dealership or whoever services the car. Alignments should be done roughly every 15,000 miles for maintenance. Yes potholes, rough roads and even the car sitting can cause the vehicle to come out of alignment. The periodic rotations and balancing alone can't prevent this.

I will say that 32k isnt too bad at all for tires, but it isnt the greatest either. Pretty much average depending on the driving, and how well the vehicle is maintained. I have seen some Michelins go 100k but were well maintained.

If there was a bad part like strut mounts and all, you should hear them as you go over every bump. I would go in there with and tell them your right front tire is badly worn more than the others and have them look into it. The tech should look into all the steering and suspension components to see if anything is loose(which should be done prior to any alignment anyways) and correct it. Make sure it is addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    The warranty will not cover alignment or tires. Any good shop/garage/dealership would have told you about your tires if they noticed them since that is usually an easy 60 dollar alignment job.
    Actually Subaru will cover a 1 time alignment within 3/36,000 but he sure won't get new tires out of the deal. Extended warranty/SAS wont cover this, just the factory.

Just some extra info, the dealerships do not warranty tires found on new vehicles. That is ONLY covered by the tire manufacturer. This also includes blowouts and flats. Some dealerships offer road hazard with the purchase of their tires. Worth a shot to check it out.

Hope all works out for you and you get the issue resolved.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop