Transmission Removal

This is a discussion on Transmission Removal within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If anyone has removed their transmission themselves please ring in on this one please. I am removing my transmission to ...

Transmission Removal

If anyone has removed their transmission themselves please ring in on this one please. I am removing my transmission to do a clutch and flywheel swap, but I cannot get the lower half of the transmission to seperate from the engine. I have removed everything required stated by the repair manual. You can see the pressure plate from the top but the transmission is still sitting on the guide pins. I have tryed prying, rocking you name it, but to no avail. It probably does not help that I am doing this by myself either. Anyone have any ideas???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got the clutch and flywheel swap completed. I have one question though, has anyone ever noticed how much more present the slop from the stock transmission mount is when an aftermarket clutch is used?

After my clutch swap I upgraded to hardened motor mounts, tranny mount and pitch stopper. This reduced the flex in the drive train drastically. I also installed Turn In Concepts clunk killer for my rear end.
    I have had an annoying vibration and rubbing sound since I re-installed the transmission. The sound was present even before I installed the upgraded mounts. I found that the beefier tranny mount was rubbing on my POS ebay downpipe, which I have since made a small indentation in to clear this. The noise is still there, it is only present upon de-acceleration. As an example I rev up to 6500 RPM in 3rd then back off the throttle and coast and as it winds down the noise comes about. It sounds like the exhaust is rubbing on the under carriage, but I have examined it over and over and it is not touching anywhere. It is driving me nuts, do you guys have any idea what it could be, or possible places to look? I have back tracked all my steps when removing the transmission but cannot locate where the mystery noise is coming from. At times it sounds like it resonates from the firewall, sometimes from the transmission tunnel area, sometimes from the rear end. Please help.

i always thought harder mounts meant more vibration.
    if the transmission has no slack to vibrate, all that motion gets transferred to the car itself.

Its been a while since I posted about this problem, but I have traced the noise to my driveshaft. When I removed the POS 2 piece driveshaft from the car, I guess I let it hang at an extreme angle and damaged it where it connects into the center support bearing. The dealer wants $755 for a new driveshaft, I can get a 1 piece 3" diameter racing driveshaft for $450. The downside with the 3" is I have to modify the floorboards for it to have enough clearance. What do you guys think I should do? When I went to the dealer they showed me the exploded view of the driveshaft and that it has no serviceable parts.

I did it, I purchased the driveshaft shop 3 inch diameter aluminum driveshaft. Should be here by next week, I was thinking of doing a tutorial of the install as it requires modifications to the floorboards. Check it out:http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=45550

Registered User Electric-Mayhem's Avatar
    Just curious.........how did you end up getting the engine and tranny separated? I'm in the same boat right now. Got everything unbolted without much trouble, but spent 3 hours trying to separate them and had to give up because it got dark. I am starting back up first thing in the morning, so any pointers would be great. I decided to move the engine not the transmission, but I seem to be hung up on the two bottom tranny bolts and I can't get it apart.

Thanks,

JH
    2004 World Rally Blue WRX Wagon
    Stage 3 (and rising)
    STI shortblock, STI TMIC, VF39 Turbo, Turboback, and Opensource Tuning (Enginuity and Boostcreep Special)
    www.enginuity.org (highly recommended)