ramps

This is a discussion on ramps within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I going to be changeing my oil soon and i just bought some ramps for when i work under the ...

ramps

I going to be changeing my oil soon and i just bought some ramps for when i work under the car and what not but when i change my oil and its on the ramps will all the oil come out or do i have to jack up the back of the car.
    Chad - NEW ENGLAND F4
    04 WRX Stage 2 soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Most of the oil will come out. You'll probably have a tiny bit "stuck in the corner" of your oil pan towards the back.

I just put the driver's side front up on jack stands, just enough to give me working room. That tilts the car in the direction of the drain plug, so I think I get most of it out.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

The oil plug is on the back of the pan, just drive it up and pull the plug, there is still oil old oil in the pump and turbo lines so all the oil never comes out anyways.

Just be sure to prime the new oil filter with oil before you put it on. Put the rest of 4 quarts in, back it off the ramps onto level ground, shut off car, and check oil level and add accordingly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by afbluesv1k View Post
    The oil plug is on the back of the pan, just drive it up and pull the plug,
    "back of the pan"? Mine's on the passenger side of the pan. Your point is valid, though, a DIY oil change isn't going to get it all out of there.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Thanks for the input
    Chad - NEW ENGLAND F4
    04 WRX Stage 2 soon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    "back of the pan"? Mine's on the passenger side of the pan. Your point is valid, though, a DIY oil change isn't going to get it all out of there.
    What kind of oil change is going to get all of the oil out? None of the instant oil change places do anything more than what we would do in our own garages. Nor would any other general mechanic.
    Mine: '05 PSM WRX 5MT Sport Wagon, Cobb AP
    Wife's: '05 SRR 2.5RS 5MT Sport Wagon

The Knack. It's a rare condition characterized by an extreme intuition about all things mechanical and electrical ... and utter social ineptitude.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    What kind of oil change is going to get all of the oil out? None of the instant oil change places do anything more than what we would do in our own garages. Nor would any other general mechanic.
    I believe that there are some devices that actually "suck" the oil out, and I didn't know if perhaps they got more out.

As stated, though, there's bound to be oil left in the lines and pump that's just going to be there no matter what. Nothing to get excited about.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

You guys use a ramp?
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Just got finished doing mine this morning along with changing the IC hoses to Perrin silicone ones. I use ramps and have no problems at all. Just a pain to get the splash shield off to get to eveything.
    '05 WRX Wagon San Remo Red, Stage ?????????????

Banned
    it is not neccessary to jack up the car at all to do an oil change just do it on level ground and you should be fine.

Registered User TheFugitiveMind's Avatar
    ^yeah but if your car is lowered it may be a bit hard to stick your head under the car and take off the skid plate and access the drain plug and filter..........
    2006 Aspen White STi
    Stage 2 Open Source Road Tune
    A bunch of bushings from TiC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitiveMind View Post
    ^yeah but if your car is lowered it may be a bit hard to stick your head under the car and take off the skid plate and access the drain plug and filter..........
    Yep, the lowered car thing is the only reason why I jackstand one side up a bit.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Well ok rear of passenger side, mine is an 02 sedan. As far as ramps, black poly/plastic ramps from the auto store work great. Done in 10-15 mins.

As far as oil in the motor, the oil in the pan, and filter is where all the contaminates go, so the 1/2 quart of lost oil in the motor will be displaced at a rate of 9:1 so it wont hurt it to stay in there. Any method of trying to remove all the oil will cause more of a problem with the pump, and turbo not being primed on initial startup.

my car is lowered thats why l bought some ramps, last time i change my oil it sucked trying to get to everything. But i was just thinking that if the car wasent level i might not get all the oil out of the pan.
    Chad - NEW ENGLAND F4
    04 WRX Stage 2 soon