06 surging under light/middle acceleration

This is a discussion on 06 surging under light/middle acceleration within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 06 wrx 5spd w/ cobb stage1/SPT catback/ SPT CAI and have been dealing w/ a surging since ...

06 surging under light/middle acceleration

I have a 06 wrx 5spd w/ cobb stage1/SPT catback/ SPT CAI and have been dealing w/ a surging since day 1 whenever I accelerate w/ anything other then WOT. It got better w/ the 93 oct stage 1 and catback but now has gotten worse w/ the SPT cold air intake. It is most noticable in first gear anywhere from 2200 to 4500 rpms and happens at points thru the rpm range and also happens at low rpms in 2nd gear. I know this will happen w/ the air compressor on but this is w/o the compressor running and happens every 2 to 3 1st gear takeoffs or 2nd gear pulls. Is this in any way a boost creep issue and/or something different. I have read about the ground mod but this seems to be a early model issue and I already have taken ohm readings from different points on the motor/batt/manifold/chassis etc and that doesn't seem to warrant a concern but I'm willing to try the mod anyway.
    If anyone has the same or similar problems w/ this please reply as I really want to resolve this. Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly? I'd lose the CAI and see if that doesn't improve things. You can always hock it on eBay, and it's not like it's giving you 30hp or anything.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    My 2006 has a "surge" issue also. I have always thought it was the car OL/CL issue. It only happens under WOT or heavy throttle. You'll hit around 3000 and it will laspse in power and then take off again. Several 2007 STI owners have complained about this. Apparently the car is changing maps and it takes a milisecond for it to adjust. I always figured that the AP would fix this. Do you have the most recent map loaded on the AP? If not I'd update the AP with the most recent map and see what happens.

+2 on losing the intake as it isnt giving you any noticable gains.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

While the CAI had made the surge worse it doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem, I only installed it last Sat and only had 4 or 5 startups since the install [and disconnecting the battery] and now the surge has now settled back to how it was before the CAI as of the drive to work and the lunch time fun run today[ecu learning !?!?]. It is the same since I got the car and installed the AP. I will check for the current AP maps but the AP has only been loaded into the ecu for 9 weeks and even then it only made a small decrease in the surging.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlaw30 View Post
    While the CAI had made the surge worse it doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem, I only installed it last Sat and only had 4 or 5 startups since the install [and disconnecting the battery] and now the surge has now settled back to how it was before the CAI as of the drive to work and the lunch time fun run today[ecu learning !?!?]. It is the same since I got the car and installed the AP. I will check for the current AP maps but the AP has only been loaded into the ecu for 9 weeks and even then it only made a small decrease in the surging.
    From what I am gathering I think this is going to be the fun of air pump emissions and a DBW system. This all seem the be pretty common.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"