Please Help! horrible noise (SEARCHED!) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Please Help! horrible noise (SEARCHED!) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Moving this to Troubleshooting, where it should have been in the first place....

I Support ClubWRX
    Moving this to Troubleshooting, where it should have been in the first place.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yea been out of town

I have been gone, actually my mechanic thought it was power steering pulley, and that it needed to be lubricated. My mechanic and i just went on a drive and i showed him how the sound only comes at low speeds, and i usually when i am backin out of my drive way because i have to cut the steering wheel to the right and left 2 or 3 times.
    NOW a month and a half later the noise actually seems to have virtually gone away. i sometimes do still hear the loud "screaming" noise but it is soo highpitched its hard to explain, my video camera would barley pick up the noises. The best way i can describe the sound is the a squeeling that only happens when i turn the wheel right or left at speeds now faster than 30mph. I hope any one could tell me anything more than what my mechanic mentioned because we lubracted it and it quited the sound but now it comes and goes. I think it might be a issue later on down the road while i am making a road trip back home and then just lose power steering and have to manhandle the car all the back.....ANY imput would be apprciated.... thanks guys have a good weekend....

Depending on how old your car is i would say replace the Power steering belt. Or check into the power steering bearings they maybe shot.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #888

I am in school til may so i can't have a job til then. So i think i can just deal with the noise, it hasn't been there the past week, it comes and goes less and less, i think the lubrication helped, but once i get that first pay check i will take it home to my mechanic, not this a$$hat down here in west texas. But anyways what would happen if the belt exploded? PS fluid everywhere and then no PS.... I could handle that but i would imagine if the PS blew it could throw crap all into the engine... That is the only thing that is lurking in the back of my head.

-Aaron

I dunno about an explosion, but for me I think it has something to do with my suspension. I've searched and posted and so far no one has really responded at all. My car still pulls really really hard to the right and my turning radius is awful. Even on a pretty wide 2 way, 2 lane street I have a hard time making a complete circle. And when I turn, it makes that squeal still, almost like an R/C car or like I'm going in reverse.

I have exactly the same symptoms as sweet_mon420. 2003 WRX makes an awful sound when backing out of parking space with steering wheel fully deflected. Only happens when car has been parked for a while and occurs only with turns. Sound then goes away after a few minutes of driving. Just had 100,000 mile servicing and had all the belts replaced and that had no effect on the sound. Mechanic did say that power steering fluid showed signs of "burning" and recommended that I flush and replace it. Any suggestions?
    Really appreciate all the help that this forum has been. I'm not much of a mechanic, but this forum has helped me do all my own maintenance up to this point. The 100,000 mile servicing is the first time anyone else has touched my car.
    UPDATE: Finally determined the source of the noise. Front wheel bearings and hubs were totally shot and had to be replaced. I don't drive the car hard, but I do have to take 15 miles of very sharp mountain curves to get to work every day. My tires only last about 15,000 miles, so I guess that the wheel bearings are also subject to exceptional wear.
    Last edited by SCHERRY; 05-23-2007 at 09:13 PM.

"The problem appears to diminish past 30 mph, but then again I don't really do 90 degree turns at those speeds."
    You don't know what your missing!

^^^ Hahaha I guess not. Bout time to get my hands on that STi or, of course, the M3 I've been salivating over for years.

Quote Originally Posted by rcasTX28 View Post
    ^^^ Hahaha I guess not. Bout time to get my hands on that STi or, of course, the M3 I've been salivating over for years.
    The M3 is to tame for me. A great car all the same. The STi makes me feel like I am living on the edge.

Ah yes, I agree in that aspect. But, as superficial as it may be, what woman doesn't prefer the rich creme leather interior with the dark sweeping lines of the M3's cockpit to the bright blue, noisy, plasticky interior of the STi? I mean I can appreciate the superiority of having an "inferior" interior such as the Subie's, but the chicks for some reason just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcasTX28 View Post
    what woman doesn't prefer the rich creme leather interior with the dark sweeping lines of the M3's cockpit...
    Not sure I want to comment on that...

Being married, my wife appreciated the price more than the interior. And I appreciate the driving experience.

My "single" friend just bought the new 335i coupe for the same reason. Awesome car indeed.

I guess it's like those new Hyundai commercials where they're comparing what I think is the Sonata to the new Lexus (E series??). Sure you can get a car that parks itself, but with the money you save by getting the cheaper car you can just pay someone to park it for you.

That being said, my family has some close friends that own a car business and they're always doing the whole auction thing. I could probably get my hands on an M3 for wholesale. Now whether or not I can get a hold of that loan or not is another story.

some of you guys are saying this happens when you guys are taking slow turns in parking lots, well this happens with the sti when its not set to auto and its torque binding(which manual says is normal unless car is in auto). This is from expirience from my sti because that noise scared the crap out of me.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx View Post
    some of you guys are saying this happens when you guys are taking slow turns in parking lots, well this happens with the sti when its not set to auto and its torque binding(which manual says is normal unless car is in auto). This is from expirience from my sti because that noise scared the crap out of me.
    So far I have always kept it in auto. After a little more inspection, it's when I rev the engine. The car can be parked. as long as I have the gas down you can hear it. it's from the driver side of the engine compartment. Almost like valve chatter. but it started after a "professional" sub woofer install. All they did was run the power cable to the battery. WEIRD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12