Think my synchros are going, will my warranty deal with it?

This is a discussion on Think my synchros are going, will my warranty deal with it? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got an 03 with too many miles (~60k) and the extended gold warranty out to 80k. For the last ...

Think my synchros are going, will my warranty deal with it?

I've got an 03 with too many miles (~60k) and the extended gold warranty out to 80k. For the last two years (aka, since I bought the car), there's an occasional grinding going into first or second gear. It's sporadic and not very often. It doesn't feel like it is going to fail out from under me any day now, but the odd grinding bothers me.

A year ago, I took the car to the dealership for something else and asked them if they could take a look at it. They said yes, but if they decided that it was caused by abuse that I would be liable for the $600 in labor for taking the tranny apart and putting it back together. I didn't want to argue with them about it, so I left it at that.

I'm thinking that I should have them take a look at it before my warranty is up. The question is: is there any way I'm going to not have a complete PITA getting them to do it under warranty? I honestly haven't abused the transmission at all; no hard launches, I rev match when I'm shifting, no power mods (except for my AP), the whole bit. I know that clutch/transmission stuff is always suspect because people are rough on the car.

So, yeah, discuss. Your experiences with something similar would be great, a statement from one of our dealerships in residence would be neat
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo
    Pending: some more stereo. Front endlinks?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    As long as they dont pop the cover and bits of teeth from the gears dont fall out then you should be fine. Sometimes the extended warranties arent through Subaru but rather another company which will more then likely cause them to cover it more willingingly.

I'd try to change out fluids before taking it for a warranty issue.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

just replace your fluids with redline lightewight shockproof and call it a day
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Syncro grind is usually alot to do with the tranny oil thats in it. I had a grind going into 4th and when I shifted back down to 1st and was not 100% stopped, and it was because of the oil I used. Start by looking at putting shockprrof in there and it might not be as much of a problem as you think. If the car is 100% stock, then just take it in and they should be covering it under warranty, they have nothing in suspect of it being abused.

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Sometimes the extended warranties arent through Subaru but rather another company which will more then likely cause them to cover it more willingingly.

I'd try to change out fluids before taking it for a warranty issue.
    He stated he has the gold package, so he has a Subaru ext warranty.

Good luck with it.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

i use GM sycromesh fluid, it reduces grinding and tough shifting, it also helps shifting in colder temps.....change the fluid and you will be amazed, when i put this stuff in my tranny it felt like a different car.... my car has 51k on it and i changed the fluid at 30k, still butter smooth i will probably change it again at 60k just to be safe ....... an occasional grind or sometimes constant grind will be entirely eliminated with GM syncromesh fluid.... good luck

Hey, thanks everybody.

I changed the fluids around 30k to the suggested RedLine mix, and it helped quite a bit. Frequency of grinding went down, and the grinding that does happen is less jarring. But, it didn't get rid of it. Now around 60k, the problem is still there. I can't say if it's more often or I'm just noticing it more. It's rare enough that I would have trouble showing it to the dealership.

As for warranty, it's the factory you-paid-too-much extension to 80k, so no worries there.

I guess it's just me wanting to get the maximum life out of the parts as possible. Replacing the synchros at 60k probably would mean I get years more use out of them, right? It sounds like I shouldn't bother with it, since it's no more than an annoyance.
    2003 White Sportswagon
    Mods: Cobb stg 2 (STX map), Whiteline strut braces, SRBs and swaybars, Kartboy rear endlinks, 04+ rear swaybar mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads meeting Powerslot front rotors, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs, some stereo

if i were you i would change the fluid again (GM syncromesh fluid), and go from there, plus your coming up on a fluid change if your at 60k

Yes he is. I would try it and see what it does. I had that same issue with my Cobra where reverse would grind and the new trans fluid helped it and reduced the grinding alot. Well worth a shot.
    http://svt4u2try.com | Myspace | Photos
    97 Cobra, 98 Z/28 hardtop

Hm. I was planning on skipping the 60k change (since I did it at 30k) but maybe I'll do it. It did feel better after the change... The costs of driving a car like ours, I guess.

Thanks, guys.
    2003 White Sportswagon

I'd been having 5th gear grind when shifting hard (clutch to the floor) got my tranny fluid changed at the dealer and its better but still happens from time to time.

Any ideas?
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

DONT HAVE THE DEALER CHANGE THE TRANS FLUID, the fluid they use is crap, i heard the redline stuff is good, but its like an additive to the regular fluid, i use the GM SYHCROMESH fluid, and my transmission is like butter, its like 10 bucks a bottle and you need i think 4 or 5 bottles, but its cheaper than have your sychros replaced.... just use GM SYHCROMESH fluid, and stop deciding what to do