New Used Vehicle Purchase

This is a discussion on New Used Vehicle Purchase within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; please help..was wondering what to look for when test driving an 02 wrx 5 speed..about certain things that may be ...

New Used Vehicle Purchase

please help..was wondering what to look for when test driving an 02 wrx 5 speed..about certain things that may be wrong with the vehicle the only one i know about is a bad first gear or grinding(which the car did not seem to have any problems with)...but please help and put anything down you all think i should look for in a used wrx thanks so much....best forum yet...u guys rock!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Being a 2002 it has what is considered the weakest transmission out of the model years. You want to make sure that it has the stock clutch (or atleast not one stronger then stock).

I'd also look for a vehicle that has all it's maitance done on it up to date. There is no reason why someone shouldnt be able to show you proof of oil changes/maitance.

Also with the car being a 2002 it will probaly have a fair amount of miles on it. Oil pumps in these cars tend to go around 90,000+ miles so if you are past that make sure it was done. These are typically done with the timing belt, which should also include a water pump if the person had some common sense.

Other then that make sure the body is straight and it hasnt been abused. These cars are not "rare" by any means so pass on something that is heavily modded or looks abused.

If you do not know anything about modded wrx's then I highly suggest staying away from them. Buying someone elses headache of mix matched parts can be a PITA.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

sorry for the OT question, but are 03 trannys stronger then 02s in any way?
    Im looking into a 02-03 wrx aswell

Quote Originally Posted by teh vash View Post
    please help..was wondering what to look for when test driving an 02 wrx 5 speed..about certain things that may be wrong with the vehicle the only one i know about is a bad first gear or grinding(which the car did not seem to have any problems with)...but please help and put anything down you all think i should look for in a used wrx thanks so much....best forum yet...u guys rock!!
    What part of NC?
    2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L Belize Blue Pearl

2000 Yamaha R6
    10.123 At 131.9mph (Dyno Drags)
    111.1hp@wheel

2002 Aspen White 5MT WRX - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bdpAKAknox View Post
    sorry for the OT question, but are 03 trannys stronger then 02s in any way?
    Im looking into a 02-03 wrx aswell
    Seems like I remember that some if not all '03 trannies are indeed stronger. Not entirely sure.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Seems like I remember that some if not all '03 trannies are indeed stronger. Not entirely sure.
    The rumor is the switch was made late in 03 but no one really knows the exact build date
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"