Possible boost leak, loud hissing PLEASE HELP

This is a discussion on Possible boost leak, loud hissing PLEASE HELP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well i just installed my catless downpipe, and now i notice it a lot MORE. yes i have heard it ...

Question Possible boost leak, loud hissing PLEASE HELP

well i just installed my catless downpipe, and now i notice it a lot MORE. yes i have heard it before, but its more destinct now. no its not the turbo whistle noise either, its definatley a hiss.

i also noticed that it lacks power when this is happening, its almost like the wastegate is constantly open. i checked the wastegate, all my gaskets, re-torqued all my bolts... no dice.

could my wastegate actuator be bad or faulty?

any advice would be greatly appreciated, and if at all possible if someone lives in the central florida (UCF) area, maybe you could stop by and take a look at it.

thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

possible leak from the new pipe? Did you put a new gasket on and make sure everything was torqued correctly? Weird...

the thing is i could hear it before the new downpipe. it happened ever since the delorship reflashed my ecu after it took a dump (only had the car for 2 weeks). now is that i can hear it alot louder.

-i rechecked all my bolts
    -used new gaskets all around
    -'E' clip on the wastegate arm in place
    -wastegate moves smoothly

i need to get a boost gauge on it to see waht im running but i was hoping someone could help me here, or maybe meet up to check it out for themselves. any takers? ill buy the beer...

sounds like you have a leak in one of you vacume/boost lines.....
    PSM Bugeye..Cobb Stage 2

can i do the ether test for that? (spray carb cleaner and wait for the engine to rev) or is there another way?

cuz i looked over the lines and they all looked in good condition, but then again i could of missed something

anyone have any other ideas i can work off of?

Not sure about the carb cleaner trick, but I have heard of stock intercooler y-pipes cracking from removing/reinstalling the intercooler. It does sound like a boost/vac leak somewhere......
    Russ - 2005 WRB Wagon
    Cobb Stage 2 and TDC Protuned
    New EnglandF4 - Blobeye Syndicate #50
    Pics
    Mods in Profile

i checked all the vacuum lines where the hissing sounds like its coming from, and i checked the intercooler 'Y' pipe. neither of them have visible damage.

IM FREAKIN' OUT MAN!!!!

last resort is to take it to the dealorship...

Have you measured vacuum at idle? Also, you mention the car "lacks power when this is happening." Is the problem intermittent? What about the boost pressure? Are you hitting full boost?

I suppose the carb cleaner trick would not hurt.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

no its not intermittent, it does happen all the time sorry for the confusion.

another problem is i dont have a boost gauge, ill see if i can borrow one from work. what boost levels should i be looking for?

-side note- 2002 wrx

Hey guys I've been having the same problem with my car. except for the noise, I am hitting 12 or 11 pounds of boost and I dont know if this is normal, I just installed this boost gauge and I'm not sure if this pressure is correct, + it takes 4500 to 6000 Rpm to reach it, boost at 3000 Rpm its about 5 psi, I was thinking it may be just a loose hose or something. (2002 WRX 89K)
    Vac is between 15 and 20.
    Last edited by colombianwrx; 11-28-2006 at 02:30 PM.

did you loosen your headers when installing the uppipe? I would think its an exhaust leak pre-turbo...only becuase I had the issue.

You can check your vac lines witha spray bottle and soapy water and look for bubbles also. If you have a shop near by have them do a pressure test.

just thought of another.. make sure you're not leaking form the bolts on your BOV. Did you seal everything with silicone? Did you coat your gaskets with any sealant like that?

no i didnt take the headers loose, no real need to. and i did seal all my gaskets, i also just bought and installed the perrin intercooler hose kit and it seemed to help some. but i still get a bit of nose, and it seems to take longer to hit boost than when the car was newer. could it be that there is a crack/pin hile in my intercooler? all my hoses are tight and sealed properly... im stumped.