Is oil an option with an oil change?!?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is oil an option with an oil change?!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Oh man you guys are going to LOVE this one. So I go into Larry H. Miller Subaru in Sandy, ...

Is oil an option with an oil change?!?

Oh man you guys are going to LOVE this one. So I go into Larry H. Miller Subaru in Sandy, Utah for a routine oil change. They get it done, i drive off. Simple right? Well I pull out of the dealership, get to the first stop light and immediately i notice something wrong. I go through the light and my turbo won't spool at all. So I start to slow down, my car dies. I'm like WTF! So I start the car back up to go back to the dealership and I get about another half mile (i had to flip around at the next light) and my car dies again. This time i notice the oil light was on (it was behind the boost gauge so i didn't see it at first)

I get out of my car and check the oil. Oh ya, the a$$wipes drained my oil but somehow forgot to refill it. So now what? (They got it towed to the dealership) They are checking over the engine and making sure no damage was done but i don't trust them. They already have admitted guilt so they know they were wrong. But I don't want to drive out of there not knowing if I might have damage 10,000 miles down the road. What should I do?

I have an 05 with 40,000 miles so it's out of warranty. I don't trust em. Again I only drove it for about a mile, how much damage can be done?

Thanks boys (and girls), any help is GREATLY appreciated.

-Steve
    Last edited by kiger0183; 11-06-2006 at 02:56 PM.
    Stage II and loving it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't bother listening to their analysis; although this error happens every day, it doesn't inspire confidence and in any case, poor lubrication will kill a motor in an instant. Assume there is damage (I find it unlikely that there is not) and have them replace the motor, turbo, and oil line from the former to the latter.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

oil starvation + turbo = instant turbo death....remember how important it is to pre-lube your turbo and make sure there's oil in the line when you do a swap because even the 20-30 seconds of no oil in the line can kill it?

anyway, the only way to really check is to tear down the motor and turbo and LOOK for damage, so don't let them talk their way out of doing that.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    When changing oil in a force induction motor you must pre oil the oil filter to even prevent oil starvation at oil change start up.. At least that is what I have always been taught and I am no expert but was a technician for 7 years and in the automotive industry for 9. (basically done nothing but work in this dealership since I was 16 til today). Anyway were I am getting at is that I see this all the time, usually if we catch it its ok and we can fill it and it will go down the road. (catch as in they started it and shut it down to check oil level before driving it off the rack) Unfortunately in your case we usually buy a customer a motor. Under warranty the motor is replaced new.. Out of warranty replaced with a good used under or equal too the amount of miles on your vehicle.. However, you are the owner you know how well your vehicle is maintained... Fight for a new one and the dealership will cave...

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    The dealership owes you a new engine. If the light came on, damage was done.

The light was telling you that you lost oil pressure. Without oil pressure, none of the moving parts get the lubrication they need, and damage is done in an instant.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I'd assume at this point your motor/turbo is gone and I'd push for a new one. Even if it runs without a knock there is probaly bearing damage done already.

This is unacceptable for anyone who does this for a living to do. You need to stay on top of this and if need be contact a lawyer as they'd jump all over this.

On a side note the GF always call me crazy for checking the oil after a change before I leave the dealership...this is why.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

If you have not done so, I would approach the Service Manager and explain what happened. They may already be aware. Be diplomatic. If that does not work, I suggest talking with the Dealership GM or someone else with authority. Bottom line, their incompetence, in all probability, caused permanent damage to the motor. Good luck.
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted as I'm sure I'll hear from the service manager tomorrow (he was out of town)
    Stage II and loving it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kiger0183 View Post
    thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted as I'm sure I'll hear from the service manager tomorrow (he was out of town)
    Please do. I'll be especially interested to hear how the dealership responds in a situation like this.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    The dealership owes you a new engine. If the light came on, damage was done.

The light was telling you that you lost oil pressure. Without oil pressure, none of the moving parts get the lubrication they need, and damage is done in an instant.
    Unfortunately with 40k it would blow me away to see him get a "new" motor out of it. He may get a used one with 1-40k on it but that is probably the best they will do.. IF he has a knock. If he doesnt have a knock, they will probably offer him some bull sh!t extended warranty that is only good for YOU.. and at THAT dealership..

You didnt drive off with the car did you!!!?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Unfortunately with 40k it would blow me away to see him get a "new" motor out of it. He may get a used one with 1-40k on it but that is probably the best they will do.
    You are correct. I should have phrased it "they owe you an engine".

Quote Originally Posted by kiger0183 View Post
    would love to know what they say too
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    I dont know why they wouldnt offer a "new" motor because how many ej205's with 40k miles do you see laying around? If I was the owner and they tried to entertain that thought I'd just see what they would be willing to give me towards a new motor and fork up the rest. They are in a position to keep you happy at this point so dont let them push you around.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

you should make them buy the car back at its pre-oil-mishap-condition value and let you put that towards a new WRX.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    I dont know why they wouldnt offer a "new" motor because how many ej205's with 40k miles do you see laying around? If I was the owner and they tried to entertain that thought I'd just see what they would be willing to give me towards a new motor and fork up the rest. They are in a position to keep you happy at this point so dont let them push you around.

it's simple, it's a used car.
    they're only required to make you whole again, not make your car new

if they can replace the motor with another one of equal or lesser mileage, they'll go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    you should make them buy the car back at its pre-oil-mishap-condition value and let you put that towards a new WRX.
    if he's upto buying a new wrx, that's a good idea worth persuing

they'll patch together the wrx for auction and cut their losses instead of making the repairs
    Last edited by $lick Rick; 11-06-2006 at 06:10 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast