Is oil an option with an oil change?!? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Is oil an option with an oil change?!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ...

I Support ClubWRX
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by blarg View Post
    oil starvation + turbo = instant turbo death....remember how important it is to pre-lube your turbo and make sure there's oil in the line when you do a swap because even the 20-30 seconds of no oil in the line can kill it?

anyway, the only way to really check is to tear down the motor and turbo and LOOK for damage, so don't let them talk their way out of doing that.
    i am about to do my first oil change on my own...do i need to do something specific to make sure the turbo is pre-lubed? you're freaking me out man

I Support ClubWRX
    The statement was made in the context of changing a turbo. It does not apply to routine maintenance like oil changes. See the oil change thread for a how-to and many pages of info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    i am about to do my first oil change on my own...do i need to do something specific to make sure the turbo is pre-lubed? you're freaking me out man
    Like someone else mentioned before just make sure to fill the oil filter with fresh oil before you screw it on. Other then that I don't see any other way, maybe cranking it with gas cut off so it doesn't start up but still lubes, but that's extreme.

I've got a personal story on the other spectrum of the oil issue. I went for my last free oil change at a local Subaru dealership, and I never suspected anything wrong since I've been very satisfied with all the services they provided so far. I jumped in the car once they pulled it out and drove straight home, no problems or issues on the way at all. The next day I was supposed to leave for a longer road trip, and as a precaution I inspected all of the car including fluids, to my surprise engine had double the amount of oil as it should. Double the oil level on the dip stick! They either overfilled or did not dump the old oil out. Since no damage was done, I simply siphoned some of it out to correct the level.
    I've heard it can be bad for the cats but who knows.
    So yeah, it's a simple oil change and so many ways it can get screwed up.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345