Is oil an option with an oil change?!? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Is oil an option with an oil change?!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is exactly why i will be changing my own oil when the time comes. Someone said you have to ...

This is exactly why i will be changing my own oil when the time comes.

Someone said you have to prelube the filter on an FI engine. What's that all about?

Glad things worked out for you dude.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wait, so they are giving you an ENTIRELY NEW engine, like out of a crate, or are they going to just put in some new parts and pieces into the old block, heads, etc.? If the latter, WTF is that all about?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG View Post
    Wait, so they are giving you an ENTIRELY NEW engine, like out of a crate, or are they going to just put in some new parts and pieces into the old block, heads, etc.? If the latter, WTF is that all about?
    Yeah, I didn't read anything about a new block.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by kiger0183 View Post
    Oh man you guys are going to LOVE this one. So I go into Larry H. Miller Subaru in Sandy, Utah for a routine oil change. They get it done, i drive off. Simple right? Well I pull out of the dealership, get to the first stop light and immediately i notice something wrong. I go through the light and my turbo won't spool at all. So I start to slow down, my car dies. I'm like WTF! So I start the car back up to go back to the dealership and I get about another half mile (i had to flip around at the next light) and my car dies again. This time i notice the oil light was on (it was behind the boost gauge so i didn't see it at first)

I get out of my car and check the oil. Oh ya, the a$$wipes drained my oil but somehow forgot to refill it. So now what? (They got it towed to the dealership) They are checking over the engine and making sure no damage was done but i don't trust them. They already have admitted guilt so they know they were wrong. But I don't want to drive out of there not knowing if I might have damage 10,000 miles down the road. What should I do?

I have an 05 with 40,000 miles so it's out of warranty. I don't trust em. Again I only drove it for about a mile, how much damage can be done?

Thanks boys (and girls), any help is GREATLY appreciated.

-Steve

<---------------------------BUD SPENCER???

Sorry i didn't specify.... yes I am getting a whole new block. BRAND SPANKIN NEW!!!!
    Stage II and loving it!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Unfortunately with 40k it would blow me away to see him get a "new" motor out of it. He may get a used one with 1-40k on it but that is probably the best they will do.. IF he has a knock. If he doesnt have a knock, they will probably offer him some bull sh!t extended warranty that is only good for YOU.. and at THAT dealership..

You didnt drive off with the car did you!!!?
    I guess you are now blown away.

The only other thing I'd worry about is your turbo. Have they checked that for any damage yet?
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

The turbo seems fine from driving it. They ordered all the parts last week. They should be here in the next few days. After that, they'll do all the repairs and at that point they'll check the turbo. The good thing is, if they don't replace it, I do still have 20k left on the powertrain warranty.
    Stage II and loving it!

well guys tomorrow is the day. The brand new block is in and I will drop off my car tomorrow morning for the engine switch.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Stage II and loving it!

...The last thing he wanted to do was to pull the oil filter out and actually disect it. So he did that while me and the service director watched. Once inside the filter he used a wrench to literally pull a section apart. What did he find... Metal scrapes laced throughout it. The look on the service managers face was priceless.
    That must have been a great feeling – glad they didn’t get rid of the oil filter after they put oil back into the system. Now you get to go though that 1,000 mile break in process all over again

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlurr View Post
    <---------------------------BUD SPENCER???
    If you mean me, not the original poster, then yes, my avatar is Mr. Bud Spencer. I take it you're a true fan of fine cimena?

Glad to hear the issue is being dealt with.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I've heard stories of superlube forgetting the oil but not a dealership. SL didn't replace any engines, they just put oil in and told the customer to come back. The soccer mom just drove home. Felt bad for her.

Well guys I got my car back on Friday. It's running like a champ!

I guess my clutch was going bad (They estimated roughly 10k left on it) So they just charged me for the parts (~$500) and didn't charge for labor (obviously the engine was out so it was easy). I also got new spark plugs. So I spent around $650 on my car which I didn't want to do but hey, $650 for a new clutch, short block and spark plugs is pretty dang good!

Anywho, thanks again for all your help, encouragement, support. This thread is what clubwrx.net is all about.

Take care all,
    We just got 2' of new powder, it's time to go boarding!
    Stage II and loving it!

I guess my clutch was going bad (They estimated roughly 10k left on it) So they just charged me for the parts (~$500) and didn't charge for labor (obviously the engine was out so it was easy). I also got new spark plugs. So I spent around $650 on my car which I didn't want to do but hey, $650 for a new clutch, short block and spark plugs is pretty dang good!

Anywho, thanks again for all your help, encouragement, support. This thread is what clubwrx.net is all about.

Take care all,
    Congrats Glad it worked out for you.

So what happend?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyTRWRX View Post
    So what happend?

Alright boys and girls here’s the scope of what has happened over the past few weeks:

So after talking to you guys I went down to Subaru with some of your advice. *****ed and moaned about the fact that they screwed my engine over. If they didn't catch anything today eventually something would happen...

Well they checked over the engine, took it for a test drive, did all the routine ish and came back with "ya your engine is fine, no knocking so why don't you come pick it up" Well I said BS and told them that's not good enough.

I talked to the service manager the next day. His comment was: "well if we can't see/hear/detect anything wrong there's nothing we can do.”

My next step was I contacted SOA and talked to a nice lady for a while on what happened. She suggested getting the regional SOA service rep to come do a full inspect with me. Which I did.

So after all this, I take my car home the next day. And I drove it for about 2 weeks with no problems what-so-ever. Finally i get a call from the service manager stating Alex, the regional SOA would be in this week.

So i took it in today. He went through, in full, what he did to inspect the car. He said everything looked right, sounded right, ran right. The last thing he wanted to do was to pull the oil filter out and actually disect it. So he did that while me and the service director watched. Once inside the filter he used a wrench to literally pull a section apart. What did he find... Metal scrapes laced throughout it. The look on the service managers face was priceless.

So when it all comes down to it: I'm getting a BRAND new crankshaft and bearings. From what he said the turbo wasn't affected but they'll pull it off when they do the engine swap and check to make sure. So after all this I am getting a brand new engine which makes me happy.

After countless hours on the phone and there in person it all worked out. I had to fight for it though, it sure wasn't easy.

Thanks to all of you for your help, your comments did make a difference.

Moral of the story: check your oil when you leave a dealership.

Sorry for the long post.
    Sorry i didn't specify.... yes I am getting a whole new block. BRAND SPANKIN NEW!!!!
    The turbo seems fine from driving it. They ordered all the parts last week. They should be here in the next few days. After that, they'll do all the repairs and at that point they'll check the turbo. The good thing is, if they don't replace it, I do still have 20k left on the powertrain warranty.
    well guys tomorrow is the day. The brand new block is in and I will drop off my car tomorrow morning for the engine switch.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.

Take care all,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.