Rebuilding an EJ20 - any advise ?

This is a discussion on Rebuilding an EJ20 - any advise ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Dudes , im getting a 99 EJ20 turbo rebuilt this week along with the turbo itself. Currently ive got ...

Banned

Exclamation EJ20 Rebuild - Noob

Hey Dudes , im getting a 99 EJ20 turbo rebuilt this week along with the turbo itself.
    Currently ive got about 3.5k of it covered under a extended manufacturers warranty.
    Initially it was a gudgeon pin on piston 4 that went caput and the motor was overheating on the timer unbeknown to me , 2000kms away from home in melbourne.
    Luckily for me the car made it back to QLD with the busted gudgeon pin with almost no oil (didnt realise that either) but didnt overheat while driving.
    Now i don't really know much about these boxer motors.
    Anything i should be saying to the performance dudes so they dont rip me off hard? What would someone expect to pay for a full recon on the motor and turbo of an EJ20T ? Would i be seriously ripped off if it costs $5,000?
    I understand basic mechanics but not really much about these motors
    Any advise is helpfull.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well keep in mind that you can find BRAND NEW STi short blocks for around $1,500, so its up to you, but either way you're better off spending 5K on a whole new motor, just my two cents
    Quote Originally Posted by psb02wrx
    while you carpe diem, tell her to carpe deez nuts.
    Fun In the Snow
    STi in the making...

Banned

Smile EJ20 Turbo - Blown Gudgeon Piston 4

Hey Dudes , im getting a 99 EJ20 turbo rebuilt this week along with the turbo itself.
    Currently ive got about 3.5k of it covered under a extended manufacturers warranty.
    Initially it was a gudgeon pin on piston 4 that went caput and the motor was overheating on the timer unbeknown to me , 2000kms away from home in melbourne.
    Luckily for me the car made it back to QLD with the busted gudgeon pin with almost no oil (didnt realise that either) but didnt overheat while driving.
    Anything i should be saying to the performance dudes so they dont rip me off hard? What would someone expect to pay for a full recon on the motor and turbo of an EJ20T ? Would i be seriously ripped off if it costs $5,000?
    Any advise is helpfull.

Banned

Smile EJ20 Turbo - Blown Gudgeon Piston 4

Any advise is helpfull.

Not a real need to start another thread (in the wrong forum no less)
    - Local Riceist

Banned

Tell you what.

Whoever organised the layout of these forums was on some serious drugs.
    confusing as
    Any Ideas about where this thread should go and how.
    Last edited by EJ20TRebuild; 11-05-2006 at 07:41 PM. Reason: The layout of your site is about as logical as Rocket science

Banned

Cool Blown Gudgeon Pin no oil drove 2000kms

EJ20 Turbo - Blown Gudgeon Piston 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any advise is helpfull.

don't know much about rebuilds but for 5k you might as well get a new shortblock (2.5l)
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Banned

Rebuilding an EJ20 - any advise ?

Any advise on rebuilding a EJ20T what should i expect to pay for a recondition of my motor and a rebuilt turbo under warranty?
    Currently the warranty covers about 3k and the rest ive got to pay for.
    Would i be getting ripped off if it costs me another $2000 on top of my 3k warranty cover ?

I know enough about mechanics to ascertain whether hes talking crap or not.
    Just not enough experience around WRX's and what they should be costing to repair etc.
    Any advise would be appreciated as my mechanic could just be saying figures and i wouldnt have a clue.

A third thread!!?! C'mon man.
    - Local Riceist

Banned

Smile 3rd Thread

Bahaha sorry dude.
    As you can see i dont have a clue what im doing here.
    :S
    Last edited by EJ20TRebuild; 11-05-2006 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Broken User

Banned

Smile 3rd Thread

Bahaha sorry dude.
    As you can see i dont have a clue what im doing here.

This isnt a factory warranty I assume
    - Local Riceist

Banned

Nope

No factory warranty on this one.
    Extended warranty.
    Interestly enough i recieved the car in this condition.
    And the warranty people have established after much convincing that it couldnt have been done by me.
    Had the car for like 10,000kms and the damage is obviously a lot more extensive.
    The problem being. Its not my money hence i cant go out and buy a new shortblock simply for the fact... id have to pay for it.
    Im only coughing up 2k max and the warranty covers the rest supposedly
    its just that the warranty only covers major working parts no seals , no labour.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm closing this one out. This guy's out of here...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon