Break in new car?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Break in new car? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm getting a WRX in 2 days but then I realized that I only have 2 weeks till I have ...

Break in new car?

I'm getting a WRX in 2 days but then I realized that I only have 2 weeks till I have to go back to college, a 320 mile trip on the highway... Is it terrible for the car to be on the highway for 5 hours straight without it being broken in? Or will it be broken after I get there? Thanks.

Oh and are 03 WRX trannies any more reliable than the 02?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your dealer should outline the break in procedure and it's also found in your owners manual. Just remember to vary your revs when you're on the highway and follow the procedure.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

Read this.

misterx

Misterx, did you break in your car this way? It is just hard to believe that everyone says 1000 miles contrary to the article you suggested. I am going to get a WRX soon and I want to break it in correctly. I wonder how the other members broke their car in. When you get a new car, it has a few miles on it. It is sometimes hard to find a car with under 20 miles on it.

I pretty much broke my car in that way. There was a thread here a few months ago, I believe sonicyellowWRX started it, and several other members followed the same procedure. I searched unsuccessfully for the thread.

I've never believed babying an engine was good practice. My rings are well sealed - I never burn oil. The important thing is, oil temp must be at full operating level and that doesn't happen until long after the water temp gauge has fully risen.

Pace might consider adding his input to this thread. I believe he stated he broke his engine in similarly.

Also consider the miles on the car when delivered probably weren't driven in accordance with the recommended break-in procedue. Remember your test drive?

misterx

BTW - "A Clockwork Orange" is one of my favorite movies. I've seen it several dozen times. But that's another story.
    Last edited by MisterX; 12-19-2002 at 04:09 AM.

Originally posted by MisterX
    I pretty much broke my car in that way. There was a thread here a few months ago, I believe sonicyellowWRX started it, and several other members followed the same procedure. I searched unsuccessfully for the thread.
    Here it is New Break In Method...
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.