I think i need new brake pads..?

This is a discussion on I think i need new brake pads..? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My brakes have started to squeek. Its been going on for a few weeks now. Its not a bad squeek, ...

I think i need new brake pads..?

My brakes have started to squeek. Its been going on for a few weeks now. Its not a bad squeek, but its a squeek. Im at 17k miles on my 06 ReX. What are some good pads to go with? And what would be a good site to get them from? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You may want to actually inspect your pads; you don't normally need to replace them 'til you have 3/16" of pad left or less.

I can't speak from experience, but many at Nasioc speak highly of the Hawk HPS pads.

If you decide to do the job yourself, here's a nice link:
    http://www.weblumen.com/subaru/brakepads.html

Good luck!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Thanks for the link Ray. That's an awesome write-up on brake pads. The tutorial didn't speak of replacing any brake fluid in the master cylinder...is that step not needed?

I Support ClubWRX
    Add fluid for changing the pads? You're not actually bleeding any fluid out of the system, AFAIK. Someone feel free to step in and say so if I'm wrong...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Hawk pads are great for performance,, but they tend to be squeaky.

For the price they are some great performing pads.

Quote Originally Posted by ynotajb View Post
    Hawk pads are great for performance,, but they tend to be squeaky.

For the price they are some great performing pads.
    Yeah i dont something thats going to squeek at all. Gruppe-S has a bunch of pads, maybe ill give them a call and see what they think.

I wouldn't bother bleeding anything since the system is not being exposed to air. Just unscrew the reservoir cap. Once you compress the piston the fluid will start to reverse back in the tank. Be carefull not to overflow.
    If it feels spongy then i would purge the system with new fluid.
    Dont forget to greese the bushings and brake pad backs.

you do not need to bleed anything since you are not opening up the sealed system, a few things to watch out for are 1) don't compress the brake caliper too fast, this could cause the seals to roll-over for a split second and introduce air in the system, also when "pumping-up" the brake pedal after the job do slow 1/2 pedal pumps untill you feel some pressure , this also keeps seals from rolling-over and introducing air. taking the master-cyl cap off helps also. replacing brake fluid w/ a dot4 fluid would up the boiling point if you plan on auto-x'ing or tracking the car, but certainly not a req for changing brake pads. check your pad thickness, my stock pads lasted over 40k miles, and that was with 3 days at deals-gap and several auto-x's. I went w/ axxis ultimates