I'm pissed...and want to know what happened. - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on I'm pissed...and want to know what happened. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by rcasTX28 Okay so I just got back from Wal-Mart to get my oil changed. I'd do it ...

Quote Originally Posted by rcasTX28 View Post
    Okay so I just got back from Wal-Mart to get my oil changed. I'd do it myself but the apartments I live in fine people for changing your oil if they catch you. Besides, I don't have a good jack or any tools, really.

Anyhow, I drop my car off at Wal-Mart and go in the store to get some things. It's been about 30 minutes and I figure they should be done by then since there was only one car ahead of me when I dropped it off. So I go back to the tire/lube area and the guys are standing around a computer and moron number 1 says "Hey, okay so...uhh..." and points to the other guy and says "Well, you tell him." At that point, moron number 2 says "Yeah, well, with the turbo you have on your car, we'd have to use synthetic." I simply said "No you don't." Moron 2 says "Well, we highly recommend that you use it." I didn't budge, and said "I don't need it." He continues, "I'm just saying that we really really recommend..." I interrupted him since it was clear he didn't get it: "No it doesn't need it." So he just gave me this "Alright, whatever you say" kind of response and I left. In retrospect, I should have stayed and watched them do it, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Okay, so basically I pay for it, go out of the garage area where everyone is standing, and they don't make eye contact at all. They just stand around and get real quiet as soon as I walk in. I get into my car which is about 30 yards away, and look over at the garage. They're all standing around, staring at me. It's dark so I don't think they saw me looking at them. I turned on the car and pulled around the corner, stopped, turned it off, popped the hood, and checked to see what I could find. Unfortunately it was dark so I didn't get to see much, but I didn't notice my coolant resivoir (sp?) was pretty much empty. The other part, however, where the metallic cap is (sorry, I forget what that's called) was full. As I'm looking under the hood, one of the little bastards runs from behind the corner, sees me, and tears off the direction he came. Obviously, he was looking for something. The drive home seemed fine. Turbo spooled as normal, no unusual noise, etc. But when I got out and turned it off, things seemed different. I sat there revving over and over again, listening and knew something was off. So I got my roomie to step on the gas a little bit while I stood in the back. It sounded louder, for sure, but was almost the way aftermarket exhaust sounds. It had that crackling to it, and under any other circumstance would be a welcome sound to me. But I was worried because it had never sounded anything close to that before. Every once in a while, there would be a medium-loud "pop" sound too.

So what I want to know is what could possibly be the cause of this? What could some punk-ass kids have done to make things sound so different? Is it bad that I'm hearing that? I'd appreciate any help I could get. Thanks guys.
    The only thing i woulda been worried about if they where acting suspicios is if they really added synthetic oil despite your prior conversation...

If you truely think somthing is worng bring it to a local shop and im sure they would be happy to tell you if another shop just caused them potential business... and they would probly check for free!
    Bugeye Mafia #125 - And Proud Of It!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oil at the 'F' is fine. If it's above that, it's OK, too - as long as it's not way overfilled. What year is it? The '02-'05 took 4.8 quarts; '06 takes 4.2 IIRC.
    It's an '02. I'll have to go and check it in a sec...should be cool enough by now.

You sure they didnt put oil in the coolant resevoir over the turbo?

Suspicious about something would worry me..... Since there there to change the oil and NOTHING else, I'd look for evidence of oil being somewhere it shouldnt be. They probably revved the piss out of it trying to make a bov sound.
    lol "Reeeeevvvvvv!.....*silence*....Reeeeevvvvvv!....* silence*"....then some guy goes "Ka-chhhh!" just to satisfy their boy-racer desires.

I checked the coolant resevoir right after, hoping it wouldn't be too hot. I guess it was b/c it sprayed out like a shaken-up soda bottle. But there wasn't anything except for coolant coming out.I looked for as many signs as possible, but really couldn't find anything. Again, I attribute that to the dark.

The only thing i woulda been worried about if they where acting suspicios is if they really added synthetic oil despite your prior conversation...

If you truely think somthing is worng bring it to a local shop and im sure they would be happy to tell you if another shop just caused them potential business... and they would probly check for free!
    Well I mean, a free upgrade to synthetic would be welcomed. But what if they put something else that's completely wrong? Something maybe that runs too think when cold? That's about all I can think of.

And the problem with giving another company business is that it'd be at my expense. I literally have no money for my car or even bread. I'm flat broke. Having just replaced my turbo was expensive enough, but then some jackass just obliterated my fender about a week ago. I had no idea it had happened until I stepped outside and saw it there. What a ****ty month for my car .

**Update**

Went out and checked under the hood. The levels are fine, I'm pretty sure, but there are a couple of things that were brought to my attention.

• 1. First off, the screw that keeps the oil in (oil drain plug?) Had some blue plasticky looking stuff on it. Not sure what it was, but I've never noticed it before. Seems to me that if the screw were removed, the blue stuff wouldn't be in tact. Other than that, I can't see what it would have done.
    • 2. The oil filter, which is usually white, is black. I know that's not enough to make a difference, but it has oil on the bottom of it, kinda collecting in the middle of the bottom at a single drop. There's an orange label around the middle of the filter that has the name and number of the part, and underneath where the label ends, there seems to be a couple of places where the oil has come out and is forming the collection on the bottom.
    • 3. I pulled out the dipstick and wiped it off with my hands to examine it more closely. The oil looks and feels alright, but when I smelled it, there was something there that seemed familiar, but out of place. It was the distinct smell of gasoline. When I first got back in the car after it had just been changed, I noticed that my gas seemed a little low, although I had dismissed it, figuring that I was fooling myself. But now it makes sense. The ****ers probably siphoned out my gas, and put some in with the oil. Unless Penzoil 5W-30 naturally smells like gasoline. Input is welcome.
    • 4. I looked into the place where the oil is poured and it looks like the tube or pipe is corroded wherever the oil has been. Does oil naturally eat away at the tubing? It hasn't been eaten through, but it looks like someone took the inside of the pipe and scraped along the sidewalk or rubbed it with sandpaper. I don't think oil would do this, but I'm pretty sure gasoline would.

Let me know what y'all think. You've been a tremendous support thus far, and I greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by rcasTX28; 10-31-2006 at 11:55 PM.

oil does tend to smell like gas.... gas is made out of oil
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Yeah, I mean slightly...but I've never smelt it this bad before.

And oil isn't made of gas is it? Cuz I still can't understand the corrosion...

Quote Originally Posted by rcasTX28 View Post
    Yeah, I mean slightly...but I've never smelt it this bad before.

And oil isn't made of gas is it? Cuz I still can't understand the corrosion...
    gas is made out of crude oil
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

yeeeeeah, I know, but there's obviously different elements that differentiate the crude oil from motor oil, gas in its natural form vs. gas we use for our cars, etc.

Either way, I'm saying that it's definitely a more potent scent than before. Just wondering if this is a possibility.

that'd be an incredibly unlikely possibility

it'd be a pain in the ass when there's much more readily avaliable stuff to add to the oil

if anything i'd be worried that they took it out and drove the piss out of it... did you note your mileage when you dropped it off and picked it up?

and another reasing for the gawking could simply be in appreciation of a nice car that they probably dont work on that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Newks View Post
    I work at these places i know how this stuff works if you go in and say hey you guys fvcked up in a nice manner they wont take you seriously im not saying go in there with a barret and threaten to splatter thier skulls on their freaking keyboards by no means. I deal with sales people at these places every freaking day they think the customer owes them. I know poepl do stupid stuff to peoples cars because the person is watching them thru the glass or thier just carless or just retarded and dont know what they are doing. Thats why i would never take my car to any of these places unless you know sombody who will make sure that you are taken care of. nobody their really cares how well its done as long as they are getting paid for it or if it will effect them directly.

i too have worked at many of these places and i currently own a chain of used car dealerships and employ 3 full time mechanics. i am the "higher up" i was speaking of
    people act like hardasses and threaten court, GREAT, i have 3 very good attorneys that get checks every month whether i use them or not

on the other hand, if people come to us with a problem in a dignified manner, they are 100x more likely to be helped

either way, you're taking a HUGE gamble
    and you're not talking some mom and pop shop, you alone cannot make a noticeable dent in their business no matter how much you piss and moan. they will be far more likely to help you if you go to them nicely and make them believe they can retain you as a customer
    Last edited by $lick Rick; 11-01-2006 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by $lick Rick View Post

it'd be a pain in the ass when there's much more readily avaliable stuff to add to the oil

if anything i'd be worried that they took it out and drove the piss out of it... did you note your mileage when you dropped it off and picked it up?

and another reasing for the gawking could simply be in appreciation of a nice car that they probably dont work on that often.
    this is true
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    POST WH0RE KING

That's true...what about the wrong kind of oil? Could that be causing the afterfire?? Of course, I've only had the car for 3 oil changes but the first two (and I'm assuming the ones before it were) all 10W-30. Now that I'm in Utah instead of TX, I decided to go with 5W-30 to handle the cold. Could that be it?
    That was my first thought. I could just see that scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off when the parking garage attendants take that Ferrari out for fun. However, the needle didn't move a single mile, so that's out of the question.

I'd like to think this, but I'm pretty sure it was something else because they were acting all suspicious and avoiding eye contact as I passed them to get in it. Besides, the guy got all butthurt cuz he thought he knew more about my own car than I did.

What about the Oil Filter? That sound suspicious to anyone? Or the corrosion in the pipe where you pour the oil in? Anyone think that sounds abnormal??

I would suggest taking it to a subaru dealer, paying them to look it over and possibly even change the oil again and check the oil as it drains to see what they may have or may not have done.

we seem to get two or three cars a month that come in messed up from wal mart or some quick lube place. Sometimes, they drain some other fluid and put oil in the engine like you should but end up with double the amount of oil you should have in there. they you end up burning up a transmission or differential...and/or causing major engine problems with the 8+ quarts of oil in the engine.

sometimes, they even go as far as draining the oil and never putting any in it or not tightening the plug or oil filter and then with no oil, obviously very bad things happen.

we seem to always be doing estimates on something like that and then the quick lube get stuck paying for the repair. we always document and photograph those types of things to prove what the case was should someone need the info/documentation for court or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Hey, being the forum car ADD guy is better than being the forum OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Well nobody cares what you think, Seth

I would suggest taking it to a subaru dealer, paying them to look it over and possibly even change the oil again and check the oil as it drains to see what they may have or may not have done.
    I'd love to do that, and would if I could. But then again if I had the money I'd have just got the synthetic to begin with. Problem is I'm a broke college student who's owned by payments as well as everything else. I need groceries pretty badly and can't even afford those because I spent 20 out of the 22 dollars I've scraped up on the oil change. So, unfortunately for me, that's not really an option.

we seem to get two or three cars a month that come in messed up from wal mart or some quick lube place. Sometimes, they drain some other fluid and put oil in the engine like you should but end up with double the amount of oil you should have in there. they you end up burning up a transmission or differential...and/or causing major engine problems with the 8+ quarts of oil in the engine.

sometimes, they even go as far as draining the oil and never putting any in it or not tightening the plug or oil filter and then with no oil, obviously very bad things happen.
    Yeah, I can see that. The thing for me is that if something was done then it was done maliciously, and not only do I want monetary retribution, I also want someone's ass fired.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Does anyone happen to know if changing from 10W to 5W-30 can cause any kind of difference in exhaust sound or result in afterfiring? What could they have done to cause my car to run rich all of a sudden? Maybe adding too much/not enough oil does this?

Those sounds were prolly there before you took it to Wal-mart, but now since your really worried of what they could have done your concentrating more on the sounds of your car. I know when I let my friend drive my car I was worried that he will race it. Then when I got the car back and drove it I turned the radio down and start trying to see if I hear any new sounds. Which I do hear new sounds, but never really paid attention to it. In the end there wasn't anything wrong and the sounds are the same. Its going to drive you nuts till you forget about it.
    84' Nissan Pick-up *daily beater*
    06' Wrx TR *new ride*
    07' CBR 600

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.