Coolant fun!

This is a discussion on Coolant fun! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm road tripping out to Kansas and back when my CEL lights up. Upon further inspection I see that ...

Coolant fun!

So I'm road tripping out to Kansas and back when my CEL lights up. Upon further inspection I see that my Engine Temp is hot, and my antifreeze is bubbling. Being only 30 miles from home, I was able to gimp my way home in 5 mile spurts letting my engine cool off in between.

As my car has passed that magical 70k mile mark everything is starting to break. This morning I noticed my coolant tank was empty (most of it boiled out last night) and also full of dirt and crap that has gone unnoticed by me until now. I'm hoping this is nothing more than a fluid issue, however a few things have caught my attention that seem out of place.

-Engine RPM: After putting stepping on the clutch my engine will hover for an extended period of time at higher engine speeds instead of falling off rapidly back to idle. Usually hangs out at about 2-3k rpm for a good 15 secs.

-Heater: Doesn't work. Makes sense, flow problem in the coolings system should affect this.

-Pump is working: When idling after a cold start the coolant tank is bubbling. Which suggests that the pump is doing its job, kinda. Air is getting pumped into the coolant tank, but, from what I can tell, no fluid is being pumped to the engine. Maybe this is a busted hose or fixture?

Anybody ever had any subie ailments like this?
    thank ya
    Protection from what, Zee Germans?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

check your oil. might be a busted headgasket?

fill up your coolant, and then check for bubbles while its running. if it is still bubbling it means there is exhaust getting into your coolant, via a busted head gasket, hopefully.
    07 white STi in CT

If coolant is bubbling out into your overflow tank/reservoir, that means your radiator cap isn't holding pressure. As you drive, the coolant will heat up and get pressurized. If the radiator cap doesn't hold, the coolant will overflow to the reservoir. Once the reservoir is full, the coolant overflows onto the ground. When your engine cools down, it'll suck the coolant back in and if you lost coolant, there'll be air in your system. Once air gets in your system, the heater won't get hot.

Anyway, the cheap way to go is to clean out your coolant reservoir, replace the radiator caps (1 or 2 depending on model year) and refill with new coolant/water mix. The first few times after your car cools down, the reservoir should be empty as air comes out and coolant is sucked back in. Just keep topping off the reservoir until it's stable. There shouldn't be any bubbling in the coolant reservoir when the engine is warm. Good luck!

Toasted head gasket... awesome... Does the 2 month salary bit for an engagement ring take into account car repair?
    Protection from what, Zee Germans?

not sure if it would cause the same symptoms, but I would also be suspect of a bad thermostat. Usually when they go bad they freeze closed and create a whole bunch of a mess with boiling coolant when the coolant in the motor back feeds the radiator and boils out. Will cause coolant bottle to overflow, and then air to get into system. Happened on my old Ranger at about 90k miles.

Another tip that crap that looks like dirt or sludge in you res tank is just skunky coolant. Unless you drove around with you cap off I dont see how you could get dirt actually in there. An easy way I found to clean it out is. After its removed take some put in some soap and water in it, then add something like BBs or small washers into it and shake in like a martini, that will loosen up all that crap inside of the bottle.