Clicking sound from engine
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Clicking sound from engine within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sounds like the lifters but we just changed those With a brand new Cam belt tensioner ...its really loud, just ...

Red face Clicking sound from engine

Sounds like the lifters but we just changed those With a brand new Cam belt tensioner ...its really loud, just changed the oil and drove it for 4-5 miles and still the same.

Any suggestions?

04 WRX

clicking is loud during idle, and speeding up..coming from the engine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    the boxer engine always ticks and is noisy. Mine does it to and I was always worried but then I read up on it and found out it is normal.

Mine has the clicking/ticking/whatever sound and did so from the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. It is normal. I've heard everything from valves, to fuel injectors, to the design of the engine. Whatever the reason, it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG View Post
    Mine has the clicking/ticking/whatever sound and did so from the day I drove it off the dealer's lot. It is normal. I've heard everything from valves, to fuel injectors, to the design of the engine. Whatever the reason, it's normal.

Wanna post a sound clip during start up (cold) and idle? That would help me alot!

ya my engine ticks too and thought something was wrong with my motor. sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't
    2005 Ubaru Impreza WRX Sedan Crystal Grey Metallic
    Mods: In my profile
    http://www.myspace.com/scottycruz

Anybody have sound clips?

and does it matter if im using 5w30 for oil? Should i switch to 10w?

Registered User rattlesnake6298's Avatar
    I Love Wrx's

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SubbyPAT View Post
    and does it matter if im using 5w30 for oil? Should i switch to 10w?
    use 5w30, especially if your are in IL I am here as well Northwest suburbs and 5w30 is what you need cause 10w30 is something you may use in a warmer climate if it is warm all the time. Cold temps here make 5 w30 the b est

I thought 10w30 is best for colder climates?

Banned
    no 10w30 is a thicker oil so it is better for hot climates.

The difference between 5W30 and 10W30 is only noticeable in sub freezing temperatures, and then really only during start up.

I use 10W30 Mobil 1 in my car, and I live in southern CA. The owners manual doesn't recommend against it anyway, so I have no worries.

I have no idea how to make and post a sound clip, or else I would probably do it.

To add, the lower the number before the "W" the more suited it is for colder climates. The "W" is the winter viscosity. The lower the number, the easier it flows in really cold temperatures. Don't go with anything less than 5W unless you live in northern Alaska.
    Last edited by TheFNG; 10-30-2006 at 12:54 PM.

im just gonna go to a dealer today that has an 04 rex....im gonna start it up and compare

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNG View Post
    The difference between 5W30 and 10W30 is only noticeable in sub freezing temperatures, and then really only during start up.

I use 10W30 Mobil 1 in my car, and I live in southern CA. The owners manual doesn't recommend against it anyway, so I have no worries.

I have no idea how to make and post a sound clip, or else I would probably do it.

To add, the lower the number before the "W" the more suited it is for colder climates. The "W" is the winter viscosity. The lower the number, the easier it flows in really cold temperatures. Don't go with anything less than 5W unless you like in northern Alaska.

Possibly do a short video of some sort?

Alright i also got some insite that it might be the oil retainers.....it would prob explalin the idle clicking and the clicks going away during higher rpm.

and oil pressure regulator valve, oil pump, oil pump seals.
    what you think ?
    Last edited by SubbyPAT; 10-30-2006 at 09:48 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.