'06 Wastegate Flutter and Actuator Adjustment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '06 Wastegate Flutter and Actuator Adjustment within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My '06 has definate wastegate flutter, and since going stage 2 it's become even more evident because of the downpipe. ...

'06 Wastegate Flutter and Actuator Adjustment

My '06 has definate wastegate flutter, and since going stage 2 it's become even more evident because of the downpipe. I've read several posts in regards to fixing it by adjusting the actuator arm by shortening it to preload the wastegate and reduce the amount of flutter. I haven't seen a lot of posts by people that have done this procedure and succesfully reduced the flutter. I'm just curious as to how many people have done it. Did it work? How many turns on the arm did it take? Any boost spiking problems? TIA
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    WG flutter is nothing to be worried about. I'm sure it's no more annoying then most modified exhaust to your neighbors.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    WG flutter is nothing to be worried about. I'm sure it's no more annoying then most modified exhaust to your neighbors.
    It's annoying to me. My exhaust is not annoying at all as it's the stock CBE. Anyone?
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    *Total Loss*

a D/P will help this some
    My lug nuts need more torque then your Honda makes!! :P (Stolen from subaru_crazy)

So you went stage 2, flashed ECU, after changing the down-pipe and the noise is a bit louder, correct? Is this what you are referring too?
    2008 Evo X GSR. Custom tuned, Works panel filter, Intercooler pipe upgrade, TBE.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
    So you went stage 2, flashed ECU, after changing the down-pipe and the noise is a bit louder, correct? Is this what you are referring too?
    I had wastegate flutter from day one, and I think many people with '06 WRXs do. When I put the Cobb DP on I noticed it that much more. I was just hoping that someone here had done the actuator arm adjustment for the purpose of ridding themselves of the flutter. I'm going to give it a go this weekend anyway, but I was hoping to hear from first hand experience.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    *Total Loss*

I Support ClubWRX
    I too have wastegate flutter, drives me nuts. An adjustment solution would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I too have wastegate flutter, drives me nuts. An adjustment solution would be sweet.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    *Total Loss*

Banned
    what is wastegate flutter?

Here is some info on sort of fixing wg flutter
    http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3654

As long as you're hitting proper boost levels, why would you bother messing around with the wastegate arm?

I hear the flutter more now at stage 2 than when i was stock, but its a normal sound when not going WOT.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 03-07-2007 at 04:31 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

I wonder what is causing the noise on my car since i hear it at WOT?
    But only between 2k and 3k rpm, right side of engine bay, etc

u will learn to live with the flutter. When I first went stage 2 I though I had an exhaust leak, thats just how loud it was. I tried to adjust the damn thing over and over, but was never able to get it to stop. Just leave it. You will find that most suby's with exhaust make the sound.
    06-wrx: stage 2 and loving every minute of it!

Quote Originally Posted by 06-wrx View Post
    u will learn to live with the flutter. When I first went stage 2 I though I had an exhaust leak, thats just how loud it was. I tried to adjust the damn thing over and over, but was never able to get it to stop. Just leave it. You will find that most suby's with exhaust make the sound.
    I can live with the sound. I dont have a problem with that. But I have no exhaust mod, and I was told it should not do it at wide open throttle, but mine does. So is mine really flutter or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    I can live with the sound. I dont have a problem with that. But I have no exhaust mod, and I was told it should not do it at wide open throttle, but mine does. So is mine really flutter or is it something else?
    you will hear it at 2-3k rpm when you're not supposed to be making peak boost. Once your in and around and past peak boost (3600k rpm stock) in 3rd and up going WOT you should really only be hearing the turbo spin.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 03-07-2007 at 08:42 PM.
    2006 WRX - World Rally Blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast