Subaru WRX Forum banner

Fuel system fuse blowing

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Hobo 
#1 ·
Hey guys, hoppin to find some answers.

here it goes. yesterday on my way home from work, came to a stop on a hill, and started off, and started to accelerate and a good rate:eek: and then all the sudden the engine stalls and shuts off. the fuse for the fuel system blew. well to get me home and then to a parts store, my friend swapped the other 30a fuse from the abs spot. so i buy my fuses and start to drive home, and give it a little more acceleration. well, the fuze blew again.

Summary:
When the car sees hard acceleration (fuel pump at max), there is some kind of power spike in the system somewhere that blows the fuze.

Anyone have this problem or know how to solve it?

Im hopin this will be an easy fix.

#5 ·
tune up ! more than likely its your fuel filter ! they are pretty cheap and not hard to replace.. you can also pick up a fuel pump if it eases ur mind for about 80 bucks

#6 ·
If you are at all competent with a wrench and arent afraid of flammable liquid, I strongly suggest you change both the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Buy a walboro 255 lph fuel pump, and make sure it comes with an install kit. I recommend These guys. There is an excellent fuel pump install guide here. Change the fuel filter after you change the fuel pump but before you start the car so the fuel system is de pressurized. I just did this install last week and its not terribly difficult. If this doesn't fix it, then you most likely have either bad wiring or a bad fpr.

#7 ·
thanks for the info, appreciate it.

with my previous cars, i usually do all the work myself, sorry if im sounding like a noob, but this is my first subaru, and its quickly becomin my baby, and i want to make sure everything is done right.

anyways, i already bought a fuel filter, installing it tomorrow, and a full tune up will be coming within the next week.

my main concern still, is the fuse blowing under decent acceleration.

but my friend and i are gonna take a look at the pump this weekend, and see if we can hopefully figure out this spike.

thanks again for the input; im learning a decent amount by trollin around these forums

#8 ·
Also consider the grounding mod, look at this thread http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674153 if you are semi-competent with a soldering iron or troll eBay for something in the $80 range.
The bog or hesitation at the RPM's you mention has been helped or cured by doing this. If you DIY the cost is about $10, what you do have to loose?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.