Fuel system fuse blowing
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Fuel system fuse blowing within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, hoppin to find some answers. here it goes. yesterday on my way home from work, came to a ...

Fuel system fuse blowing

Hey guys, hoppin to find some answers.

here it goes. yesterday on my way home from work, came to a stop on a hill, and started off, and started to accelerate and a good rate and then all the sudden the engine stalls and shuts off. the fuse for the fuel system blew. well to get me home and then to a parts store, my friend swapped the other 30a fuse from the abs spot. so i buy my fuses and start to drive home, and give it a little more acceleration. well, the fuze blew again.

Summary:
    When the car sees hard acceleration (fuel pump at max), there is some kind of power spike in the system somewhere that blows the fuze.

Anyone have this problem or know how to solve it?

Im hopin this will be an easy fix.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stock Fuel pump? How old is the car/pump? Maybe its shorting out?

not sure, i just got the car on saturday night. 03 wrx.

also, im noticing (under normal acceleration) that around 3k to 3500 rpm i notice a little misfire or something along those lines. the car bogs a little, almost like its gettin starved. misfire? fuel pump(possibly related to fuse blowing)?

or could it just be time for a tune up.

tune up ! more than likely its your fuel filter ! they are pretty cheap and not hard to replace.. you can also pick up a fuel pump if it eases ur mind for about 80 bucks
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

If you are at all competent with a wrench and arent afraid of flammable liquid, I strongly suggest you change both the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Buy a walboro 255 lph fuel pump, and make sure it comes with an install kit. I recommend These guys. There is an excellent fuel pump install guide here. Change the fuel filter after you change the fuel pump but before you start the car so the fuel system is de pressurized. I just did this install last week and its not terribly difficult. If this doesn't fix it, then you most likely have either bad wiring or a bad fpr.

thanks for the info, appreciate it.

with my previous cars, i usually do all the work myself, sorry if im sounding like a noob, but this is my first subaru, and its quickly becomin my baby, and i want to make sure everything is done right.

anyways, i already bought a fuel filter, installing it tomorrow, and a full tune up will be coming within the next week.

my main concern still, is the fuse blowing under decent acceleration.

but my friend and i are gonna take a look at the pump this weekend, and see if we can hopefully figure out this spike.

thanks again for the input; im learning a decent amount by trollin around these forums

Also consider the grounding mod, look at this thread http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674153 if you are semi-competent with a soldering iron or troll eBay for something in the $80 range.
    The bog or hesitation at the RPM's you mention has been helped or cured by doing this. If you DIY the cost is about $10, what you do have to loose?
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Update:

alright, well my walbro fuel pump arrived the other day, and finally installed it last night. took it for a drive. hesitations are gone, 2nd gear + drive great. but, it still likes to blow the fuse in 1st gear. still dont know why. any suggestions on what else should be checked?
    308whp/285tq
    Size DOES matter...
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    Proud PRE customer
    Tuned by Bobby

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
    Update:

alright, well my walbro fuel pump arrived the other day, and finally installed it last night. took it for a drive. hesitations are gone, 2nd gear + drive great. but, it still likes to blow the fuse in 1st gear. still dont know why. any suggestions on what else should be checked?
    Do you have any odd wiring under the hood that could short out under heavy engine movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Do you have any odd wiring under the hood that could short out under heavy engine movement?
    nothin unusual that i have seen yet.

car does have a catless TBE, no sensors on it, not sure if their are many in the first place (still a subbie newb)

but my best friend is a mechanic for ford, hes gonna drive it to work and possibly come up with some kind of solution.
    308whp/285tq
    Size DOES matter...
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    Proud PRE customer
    Tuned by Bobby

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.