burning oil?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on burning oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi all. I have been trying to track down a problem with my 06 wrx. I get a burning oil ...

burning oil?

hi all.
    I have been trying to track down a problem with my 06 wrx. I get a burning oil smell from my exhaust on cold startup. it will usually go away after I drive. I also leave a cloud of greyish smoke when take off. also if I shut the car down then restart rightaway it will smoke untill I drive off. I have pulled all the plugs and they look fine, no evidence of oil fouling or anything of that sort. no oil in the intercooler or any of the hoses. pcv checked ok, no oil apparent in the coolant(visual inspection), car runs perfectly fine. the only mods I have are invidia catted dp and cobb AP stage 2 ots map. Ive had 1 oil change since its been doing this and the oil level doesnt change(which I find very odd if Im burning oil) the mods have been on the car for over 6 months with no issues untill a month or so ago. I use M1 5w30 dino oil. I aslo changed to M1 5w30 synth blend the oil change before last and it seemed to start smoking at that time, so I thought that was the problem and did another change back after 1000 miles. the car has 10k miles on it at this time. I have heard people say it could be oil seals in the turbo, any thoughts on that? how could I check the oil seals? The reason I am asking all this here is my dealership has told me to get bent on any warranty work due to my mods. I asked how an exhaust could cause an internal oil leak but they just said sorry bud you changed it and you are voided! So here I am with a problem that really is pretty far fetched to be related to my mods and the dealsre that wont help. so Im on my own to try to remidy it.
    any help would really be appreciated.
    Thanks
    WRB 06 TR wrx wing, wrx foglights, Invidia catted downpipe, AP,
    Stage 2 map, SPT catback, STi oem springs, Katrboy shortshifter
    lots of audio gear too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This reminds me of something that happened to me after getting my '05 WRX.

Saw smoke after stat up.
    Shut it down.
    Checked oil.
    Not a drop on the dip stick.
    Freaked out and added 1 quart of oil.
    Ran engine for a few minutes.
    Checked oil.
    Dip stick showed I had a quart too much.
    Called the dealership and they were nice enough to drain the extra oil and make sure everything was fine.

Turns out everything was fine. A little smoke is OK once in awhile. It never happend again to me. Our turbo engines can burn up to a quart every 3k. If the dip stick doesn't show any oil, don't panic. Just re-check it with a warmer engine. It's weird and I've never owned a car that did this. Oh well.
    Last edited by Just Be; 10-30-2006 at 07:54 PM.
    Duplicolor, "Scratch Fix 2 in 1" Pewter met. #NG GM 490
    is a perfect match touch up paint for the stock (newer style) '05+ gun metal wheels.

this might be caused from the motor just being cold. your piston rings are actually made to be oval when cold and when at normal operating temperature they are circular. what happens is oil squirted onto the cylinder walls... just let your car warm up before hard driving and you should be fine.

if it is smoking when its warm then that could be severael things. either from the same cause or your oil rings are not doing they job.

this leads me to another question: does anyone know if any or all subarus have a windage tray? im pretty sure they would because they are high revving motors but im not sure...
    07 white STi in CT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.