Boost LEAK!?!?!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Boost LEAK!?!?! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my boost doesnt hit until about 4k but then loses the power at 45k. i dont know why or whats ...

Boost LEAK!?!?!

my boost doesnt hit until about 4k but then loses the power at 45k. i dont know why or whats wrong with it. i changed the piping and got new pipe connecters but it still doesnt have full boost. why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Thanks guys!

Everyone was an awesome help! i got ZERO replies!

could you be a little more specific: mods done to car, is this any boost at 4k or full boost at 4k, at WOT, anything else that might help
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Thanks guys!

Everyone was an awesome help! i got ZERO replies!

Lets see, you just join the forum, and ask a question, a total of 5 posts to your name, and 2 of them are complaining about how nobody is helping you. Help us help you. Now I will ask the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00 View Post
    could you be a little more specific: mods done to car, is this any boost at 4k or full boost at 4k, at WOT, anything else that might help
    It could be alot of things? You have an aftermarket BOV, Intercooler hoses. What year car, how many miles? Flashed ECU? As I said help us help you.

thanks dude

but yeah i was told it was stage two piping for the turbo and it has a full exaust. everything is greddy. i dont know what else it has on it motor wise i got it with 40k on it. but yeah but i dont know what WOT is please explain if you could. and yes all the time with very little boost or all it does the same thing. A friend of mine test drove another wrx with turbo and he said it did it too. I hope you can help me. well if you want to know anything else let me know

by the way

Its a 2004 and it has hoses. ecu? i dont know. Im not real familiar with this car so youll have to excuse me

Quote Originally Posted by scm320 View Post
    Its a 2004 and it has hoses. ecu? i dont know. Im not real familiar with this car so youll have to excuse me
    alright lets look at this

first does the car have a boost gauge of any kind? if so what is the reading.

WOT means wide open throttle so is this happening when you are putting around town or have the pedal to the floor?

if the car is "stage 2" then it has a form of em (engine management) which could mean a bad map if not an off the shelf map

by full exhaust I assume (also by the fact you said stage 2) it has a turbo back exhaust (the piping from the turbo to the muffler)

off the top of my head things like vacum hose leaks, restrictor pill missing, something wrong with the bov could be a number of things ... or could just be turbo lag that since you are not used to turbo cars stands out to you while we are used to it (but 4k is a little high for it to be just turbo lag)
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Yeah it has gauges but only the air/fuel, and boost psi one work. The psi reads at about 15-20 when the peddal is to the floor.

and this happens when I have the pedal to the floor. yes full exaust from turbo to tip. i know what you mean though but the actual power i feel which i must say is awesome i dont start to feel until 3500 rpms and it doesnt have the same pull anymore after about 4500rpms. and yeah i havent driven a turboed car before but ive been in one while the turbo was going and it never gave out like this does. so something has to be wrong like you said.

thanks dude. I was thinking i should just get a new turbo too because its a very small turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by scm320 View Post
    Yeah it has gauges but only the air/fuel, and boost psi one work. The psi reads at about 15-20 when the peddal is to the floor.

and this happens when I have the pedal to the floor. yes full exaust from turbo to tip. i know what you mean though but the actual power i feel which i must say is awesome i dont start to feel until 3500 rpms and it doesnt have the same pull anymore after about 4500rpms. and yeah i havent driven a turboed car before but ive been in one while the turbo was going and it never gave out like this does. so something has to be wrong like you said.

thanks dude. I was thinking i should just get a new turbo too because its a very small turbo.

im sorry but i seen to think you dont know whats going on buddy? 15 -20pounds of boost, you are moving... im guessing with 20psi @ peak you would also have a front mount intercooler or a much more effiencent top mount than standard... dont get me wrong but i think you should get in your car and drive it to a mechanic and ask him or her to have a look at it.... what turbo is it? TD05, turbo size matters and by going large doesnt necessarily mean faster you may be hitting boost at rev limitter if its too big....

fast and the furious was just a movie...

Quote Originally Posted by brujito View Post
    fast and the furious was just a movie...
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Yeah sounds like a big turbo with alot of lag, not stock by any means. I would say you need to do alot of research to find out what it is that you have on your car. It just suprises me and I hope you didnt buy the car becuase it "looks" or "sounds" good and have no clue what is on it. You might need to go straight to a performance shop and have them take it for a spin and have them tell you what you just bought.

I Support ClubWRX
    Do it hit like a freight train once you get into the 4k range? Can you look at the turbo and tell if it's about the size of a large apple or a small pumpkin? There should be some kind of markings on the turbo saying "Td-04" but it may not be visable.

Does your gauge read in PSI or mpg's? If it's PSI then there is no way you are on the stock turbo or the gauge is messed up.

You need to find a GOOD local subaru shop that can tell you what all is done to your car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

15-20 psi is a hell of a range for readings

if it is closer to 15 psi then it could be a TD-04 stage 2 but closer to 20 psi ... VF39, VF34 or something
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.