Dealing with "higher" mileage

This is a discussion on Dealing with "higher" mileage within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I may be purchasing a 'higher' mileage WRX (94k) in the next week or so if everything checks out. I ...

Dealing with "higher" mileage

I may be purchasing a 'higher' mileage WRX (94k) in the next week or so if everything checks out. I know subaru's last forever, if taken care of. So im just wondering if you guys could point me towards some things I need to specifically look over on this car to make sure everything looks good. What are the common issues? I plan on replacing the clutch in this car anyways, since i'm sure its on its last days. Do you guys run synthetic oil's in your WRX's?

If you guys could just let me know what issues I could run into and need to look out/listen for then i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This should be a good thread. I just bought an '03 Wagon with 76K on the clock. It was a one owner car..and he has run Mobile 1 Synthetic since the first oil change.

It had the 60K service done too.

I think it is key to run Synthetic in these cars.

I think the next service is at 105K...including the timing belt.

Later,
    Patrick
    RSX-S
    Sold: '03 WRX Wagon (bugeyes rock!)

yeah I bought one about a month ago with 75k. It had the 60k service also.

Pretty much just make sure the trany is sound. As far as the clutch goes well im sure you know what a clutch feels like wehn its going out.. and you stated you are prepared for clutch replacement so I guess just make sure its not completly gone. Also if your concerned about there driving habits theres things to look at like tirewear and such.

then of course get a good look under it and check the hood and trunk to make sure they are original.

as far as service if it hasnt had the 60k then defenatly do that. (I would hope it has been done but who knows). sparkplugs, fuelpump, new fluids ext. Then of course your in the range for a new timming belt. But dont freak out im a tech and they only pay 3 hours its not a incredably difficult job. Being the engine is sitting front to back like a rwd car it makes timming belt service much easier.

just give it a good drive and keep the ears pricked. Listen for trany niose. Also listen for possible wheel bearings and balljoints when you corner.

my car was a one owner and he also used m1 full syn for the life of the car. From my research 90% of wrx owners use full syn and probably 80% of the 90% use m1.
    Last edited by sigurd; 10-17-2006 at 07:07 AM.

Hey guys,

I have been wanting a WRX since 2002 and now just picked up my used( new to me ) 2003 WRX with 71k miles. It was an original owner by this doctor guy who only sold it because they had their second kid and it wasn't practical anymore. It is completely stock and very well maintained, and the carfax showed that it was in the dealership every 4 - 6k miles for service. It seems to run strong and all, and I think there might be a wheel bearing problem but other then that it is strong like bull! I checked with a few people who have WRXs and they have said there is no harm in buying one with mileage that high. I would try and track down what the subaru dealers would do at specific miles for servicing and see what should be replaced or inspected and keep an eye out for those items. I ran across it a while ago, I will try and track it down.

-- Chris

Here is the link, http://www.subaru.com/owners/schedules/index.jsp

basically choose your year from the left side and then at the bottom of the page is a link to the list of what should be done at what time.

-- Chris