Brake System Warranty issues with aftermarket rotors
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Brake System Warranty issues with aftermarket rotors within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Dealer told me warranty is void cause I have x-drilled/slotted rotors. Is that true? I took my car in for ...

Dealer told me warranty is void cause I have x-drilled/slotted rotors. Is that true?

Dealer told me warranty is void cause I have x-drilled/slotted rotors. Is that true?

I took my car in for service today cause I am havign brake problems. Before he even got in the car he told me I voided my warranty cause I changed one part on the brake system so the entires system was voided when it came to the warranty.

Is this true. Cany they do that. What if my master cylinder is broken. Can they actualyl say it was caused my different rotors on the car and not pay for it under warranty?

I need some infor from you guys. Anybody else had similar problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    here's a cut & paste job from the subaru site

Below is a brief description of the Subaru Limited Warranty for 2003 model year Subaru vehicles that is provided to each buyer by Subaru at no additional charge. Your Subaru Dealer has complete details concerning the warranty and any exclusions and/or restrictions that may apply. Please visit your nearest Subaru Dealer for this further information. Click here for optional extended protection beyond the warranty.

When These Warranties Apply
    These warranties are made by Subaru of America, Inc. (except in Hawaii) and apply only if the car was imported or distributed by Subaru of America, Inc. and sold to the first retail purchaser by an Authorized Subaru Dealer in the United States. Any and all repairs must be performed by an Authorized Subaru Dealer located in the United States. Every owner of the car during the warranty period shall be entitled to the benefits of these warranties. If the car is sold or otherwise transferred during the warranty period, it is recommended and requested that the new owner promptly send written notice of the transfer of ownership to:

Subaru of America, Inc.
    Subaru Plaza
    P.O. Box 6000
    Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Warranty Periods
    Warranty coverage begins on the date the car is delivered to the first retail purchaser. If the car was used as a demonstrator or company vehicle before being sold at retail, warranty coverage begins on the date the car was first placed in such service.

What Is Covered
    These warranties cover any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship reported during the applicable warranty period and which occur under normal use:

in any part of the 2002 model year Subaru

in any Genuine Subaru Optional Accessories installed on the car prior to delivery
    Replacement Parts And Accessories Limited Warranty
    This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in material or workmanship which occur under normal use in any Genuine Subaru Replacement Part or Accessory purchased after retail sale of the Subaru vehicle in which the part or accessory is installed.
    * See your Subaru Dealer for complete details.

Wear Item Limited Warranty
    Wear item coverage for all models except Right-Hand Drive Legacy is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered include brake pad/shoe linings, clutch disk linings, and wiper blades.

New Car Limited Warranty
    Basic coverage is three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the entire car.

Rust Perforation Limited Warranty
    Rust perforation coverage for all vehicles except Right-Hand Drive Legacy is five years regardless of mileage. Since all Subaru vehicles are built to resist corrosion, the use of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not necessary and is not a requirement for coverage under this warranty.

Powertrain Limited Warranty
    Powertrain coverage for all models is five years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. It covers the major powertrain components listed below:*

Engine block and all internal parts
    Cylinder heads and valve trains
    Oil pump, oil pan
    Timing belts or gears and covers
    Water pump
    Flywheel
    Intake manifolds
    Oil seals and gaskets
    Torque converter
    Electronic transmission control unit
    Transaxle seals and gaskets

Axle shafts and constant velocity joints (except boots)**

Propeller shaft

*See your Subaru Dealer for complete details.

*Some restrictions apply. For complete 2002 Subaru Warranty information contact your local Subaru dealer. Locate your local dealer by going to the upper right corner of subaru.com and input your city, state or zip code.

**Axle shaft and/or CVJ damage due to broken, torn, split or damaged boots, allowing the intrusion of road abrasive material, is not coverable under warranty.
    -----------------

Try Edmunds Townhall also, as there's some people from SOA who participate on that site

If its a braking system issue i would swap to the originals and take it to another dealer. I would say yes they can deny service on the brakes it may not even matter which part failed. They cant deny transmission service as an example because the rotor are not stock.

If an aftermarket part not installed by the dealer is thought to be directly related to the problem, they can void your warranty. A lot of people who had broken transmissions also had aftermarket parts so dealers were voiding warranties left and right on that issue.

that is total bull-sh@#.

how can they void everything jsut for one part.

They caleld back said it may be an ABS issue. But they said if it is linked to the rotors then warrany is void. If not they will fix it under warranty.

I don't see how the rotors can be affecting the ABS since they were on for 7 months+ and I had no problems. I only had the problems after the snow storm.

Details:

Brakes are stiff/soft/stiff-

Ok say I am going 50MPH and I apply normal braking not hard. When I irst touch the pedal it is very stiff. And I get some feedbak like something is rubbing of the ABS is doing something. Then when I get to 30-35 MPh the pedal drops free about 2 inched down and then stiffens up again and I get normal braking back with no feedback.

it is really wierd. I don't knwo what is causing it but it started after driving in the snow and during that period my ABS was workign overtime.

Pull your ABS fuse and see what happens.

it is at the dealer now. I will let him do that and see if it is the ABS or not.

it is at the dealer so to late for that right now. He is looking for the problem now. Thinks it is ABS system.

Hopefully whatever it is will not be able to be linked back to the rotors.

They can't deny the claim unless they prove the problem was caused by your aftermarket parts. The dealer is jerking you around, they do that. You can try to battle them on it, but I would personally take it to a different dealer (and all of my future business as well).

I asked the parts guy at my local Subaru about this when I bought my car.

tan
    To my best knowledge......if you maintained the same size rotors, I can't see how it would affect the ABS......my best feeling is the dealership is ****ing you around.

Get the diagnosis on paper, with the cost estimate. Then get a 2nd opinion, or third.

go here to see what your rights are concerning warranty:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

This will give you the info you need.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

Originally posted by twinz
    go here to see what your rights are concerning warranty:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

This will give you the info you need.
    Not really. Unless he wants to take SOA to task in a federal court.

Originally posted by Wade-O

Not really. Unless he wants to take SOA to task in a federal court.
    it really does help to be fully aware of your rights as a consumer and to go in well armed against a car dealership when they try and BS you. Has worked for me more than once but with other cars.
    IHI VF-34, ECUTEK Tuned
    290whp@6300rpms@15.8psi
    247tq@5200rpms@16.9psi
    ( Dynapack Hydraulic dyno )

Originally posted by twinz

it really does help to be fully aware of your rights as a consumer and to go in well armed against a car dealership when they try and BS you. Has worked for me more than once but with other cars.
    This is true.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.