kevlar timing belt

This is a discussion on kevlar timing belt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so are these kevlar timing belts worth my extra money? I see them on the aftermarket online stores and im ...

kevlar timing belt

so are these kevlar timing belts worth my extra money? I see them on the aftermarket online stores and im just curious if I should buy one instead of the subaru one when the time comes for my timing belt replacement.

75k on the car right now.

thanks,

sigurd

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sigurd
    so are these kevlar timing belts worth my extra money? I see them on the aftermarket online stores and im just curious if I should buy one instead of the subaru one when the time comes for my timing belt replacement.

75k on the car right now.

thanks,

sigurd
    Subaru produce timing belts for Group N motors, I think they were sold here as STi timing belts a few years back and they are intended for competition. Now, just because they can withstand three days flat out on special stages doesn't mean they can handle 100k miles in traffic; I don't know. But they're an option.

The stock belt is also an option. After all, it'll last 100k.

IMO using a non-factory belt is probably not worth it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Subaru produce timing belts for Group N motors, I think they were sold here as STi timing belts a few years back and they are intended for competition. Now, just because they can withstand three days flat out on special stages doesn't mean they can handle 100k miles in traffic; I don't know. But they're an option.

The stock belt is also an option. After all, it'll last 100k.

IMO using a non-factory belt is probably not worth it.
    your water pump will start to sour around 90k miles anyway, and you'll have to take off the timing belt to get to it. as long as you do all the scheduled maintenence, there's really no point.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Regular timing belts are designed to run a really long time; almost 100k miles.
    Unless you have a reason that you would need slightly stronger belts.
    I wouldn't spend more than 20 bucks extra for it.

just my thoughts.