Just got an '02 WRX - Am I missing anything here?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just got an '02 WRX - Am I missing anything here? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys - just managed to get my hands on a black '02 wrx with 43k mi. i am not ...

Question Just got an '02 WRX - Am I missing anything here?

hey guys - just managed to get my hands on a black '02 wrx with 43k mi. i am not planning on modding it yet, but rather just getting a good setup with oil/filters/etc. here is my current plan -

- run seafoam through gas/oil/vacuum line
    - changing oil to 5w30 royal purple
    - new NGK iridium plugs
    - new WIX fuel filter
    - new K& N drop in filter
    - tranny flush w/ royal purple

am i missing anything here? i think thats about it for basic maintenance... brakes are good, no other repairs are needed.

what about the turbo? does anything need to be inspected/checked?

thanks for all the help guys. glad i could finally join the fold.
    Last edited by rudemood12; 10-05-2006 at 08:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    During the warranty period you need to use fluids and parts of the correct specification as stated in the manual. A 30-weight oil with an API doughnut symbol on it is required for this, as is an air filter that meets the OEM spec. The gear oil is not due for replacement until 60K (assuming it was done at 30K). The plugs are also not due for replacement until 60K. The fuel filter is not a required replacement part, it is recommended. Check the manual for the service intervals.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i really meant 5w30 - my bad

do u do the plugs @ 60 ?
    im almost sure the dealership told me to do it @ 105k

personally, i think you have a good plan, i mean, if you bought the car from a dealership, there's a good chance its been maintenanced while it was there, but you can't really trust anyone but you to make sure your car is well taken care of.. its not gonna hurt anything to do plugs, oil, air filter, etc.... so there's no point in putting it off, i'm planning on doing the same stuff.. props for the responsible turbo car owner... also i'd let it idle a bit before you shut it off if you're driving it farther than a few blocks, or get a turbo timer to do it for you, its just a safety thing, but its nice to know that you're taking a little extra step to take care of your stuff, car's aren't free, and either are parts, so you've got the right idea for sure.

thanks for the turbo tip - ill keep that in mind.

i purchased the car privately, and have a handful of maintenance records, but i am very picky about my vehicles and what goes in them. so im using this as a base tune up to work off of in the future, so i know exactly what is in where and when it was put there.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.