boost leak -- is my turbo broken?

This is a discussion on boost leak -- is my turbo broken? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok, so i just bought an '03 wagon, and just realized something: I think i have a boost leak. i ...

Exclamation boost leak -- is my turbo broken?

ok, so i just bought an '03 wagon, and just realized something: I think i have a boost leak. i have the factory boost guage, and when i accelerate in any gear (as far as i know) the most boost i'll get is about .09. i'm pretty sure that means 9 lbs of boost. And when i get 500rpm or so away from redline the boost drops off. The car does not boost nearly as hard as some of the other wrx's that i test drove either. now i realize i'm retarded for buying it. Also, when i accelerate i hear a whining sound like a dentist drill when i get to about .0 lbs. At first i thought this was just the normal turbo sound, but now im not so sure.
    any ideas on how to check for leaks? or should i just take it to a shop and see what they say.
    p.s. i read some other posts on boost leaks, but i dont understand all this WOT, FMIC stuff like that. im a noob, so plz be nice.
    Last edited by jester458; 10-02-2006 at 11:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Boost will taper off on the stock turbo towards redline. But it sounds like you might be missing the restrictor pill coming off the wastegate.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

.09 is NOT PSI. The stock gauge shows MPa, and .09 is around 13 PSI. That's a little low for an '02 - '05, but you need to check it in 5th gear starting at around 3,500 RPM. Floor it and see if it doesn't creep to around .1 MPa before it starts to taper. I don't think you have a boost leak.
    Last edited by Robert46123; 10-03-2006 at 05:05 AM.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

I Support ClubWRX
    Make something like this and test your system for leaks. It is very easy.

Has Any WRX Owners Done Leak Tests for Boost Leaks

FYI stock boost is 13.5
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Quote Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    Make something like this and test your system for leaks. It is very easy.

Has Any WRX Owners Done Leak Tests for Boost Leaks

ok, so im gonna try this out, and see what happens.
    This isnt going to be bad for my car in any way, right?

oh, and i looked into MPa (megapascals -- a unit of pressure equal to the force of 1 million newtons per sq. meter... or equal to about 145 psi, which is why the boost guage says .10 - i never noticed the decimal)about being different than psi, and i found this conversion chart...
    http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/pressureunits.html

Turns out that 13.5 psi --which is what stock is rated at -- is about .093 KPa

hopefully this helps some turbo noobs like myself who scare themselves when reading the stock guage.
    But i'm still gonna try the leak tester thing. lets hope i dont screw my car up somehow.
    P.S. Sorry for the scientific content
    Last edited by jester458; 10-03-2006 at 12:22 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jester458
    ok, so im gonna try this out, and see what happens.
    This isnt going to be bad for my car in any way, right?

oh, and is that other guy right when he said that .09 Mpa is different than psi?
    No. You will need an air compressor to pump up the system and another friend watching your boost gauge. Put it on, presurize the system and listen for leaks. That's it. Super simple.

Yes. The other guy is right...

http://www.chapelsteel.com/mpa-psi.html
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    *Total Loss*

also, i was wondering... so then are boost pressures different in different gears?
    Thanks for all the great help BTW

also, i was wondering... so then are boost pressures different in different gears?
    yes, there is more load in gears 3-5, more load = more boost
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

I suggest you start reading all you can in this forum. If you do searches you'll find all kinds of information about your new car. Good luck!
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    *Total Loss*

Hey, you might also wanna check, or get someone to check, the gaskets for your up and downpipes. From what I've read, that's a common cause of the "dentist's drill" sound you described.

Before that, you might wanna try the soap and water bottle thing first. If you haven't heard about it, do a search on it. Like the guy before me said, searching saves a lot of time and repitition. But mostly, I think, it helps you to learn things better, since we usually retain info better by applying ourselves as opposed to just hearing someone else say it. Just my .02

ok, so im pretty sure that i dont have any major leaks now, but i think i'll still try making that tester thing.
    But now im wondering what might be causing another problem...

when i test-drove other wrx's, the turbo seemed to "kick in" a lot harder. You could definately tell when the turbo had spooled up. With my car, there isnt a specific point where you can really tell that the turbo has spooled up: you can't feel it "kick in" at a certain point. any ideas?
    Everything under the hood is stock.

could it be due to dirty air and fuel filters?
    Last edited by jester458; 10-05-2006 at 05:23 PM.

This site helps if you're just starting out learning about wrx's or turbo'd cars in general. It helped me when I first got my car.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question366.htm

thanks amigo