Y Pipes & Blow By, Got Help???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Y Pipes & Blow By, Got Help??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, well heres all the info i have that deeply concerns me. one day i started my car and let ...

Unhappy Y Pipes & Blow By, Got Help???

Ok, well heres all the info i have that deeply concerns me. one day i started my car and let it warm up, I started driving and smelled burning oil, so i pulled over and i seen a little smoke comming out of the hood so i poped it and seen a little smoke comming from behind the ic but i couldn't quite figure it out..... the smoke dissipated and i never seen it again. that was about a month ago, since i have had my car.... maybe 3 months, I have noticed that it almost feels like the car is sputtering a slight bit when boosting, never thought that this would be linked..... it's my first turbo car.... Anyways to make a longer story short today i was just noseing around the engine compartment and reached my hand around the back of the ic and onto the y pipe, when i pulled my hand back it had some oil on it. after reading some threads i've come to the conclusion that some oil in the y pipe is gonna happen from blow by and thats normal, nothin to trip about i bought a oil catch can from ebay for it today, but somehow that oil came out of the y pipe and on the outside, so im guessing that my y pipe is possibly cracked and im gonna replace that to, i bought a metal one off ebay a little while ago, which i hear is much better than the plastic one, that would cause the boost leak and the oil dripping on the exhaust manifold would cause the burning oil smell......... anyone else got some idea's that would be nice, lookin for any imput i can get

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Red face Help!!! Please!!!

OK, well no ones replied, and i posted this awhile ago, I'm still having the boost problem, i replaced the ic hoses and checked all the other vaccume lines, everything looks ok, i checked the waste gate flapper and its still connected. I have the lil brass pill in the waste gate line, I'm not getting any check engine light, i'm almost thinking it could be the boost control solenoid. but i dunno, it seems like i'm not getting very much boost until about 5k wot it seems like all of a sudden it has full boost, i dont have a boost guage (I Know I Need One), but im not sure what could be causing this, any help or ideas would be greatly appriciated.

your y-pipe is probably cracked and leaking oil, which would also cause a boost leak..

either that or where your y-pipe connects to the i/c, is a little loose, which would cause the same problem..

take your i/c off and check out the y-pipe, you'll probably have to replace them with some samco ones
    EVO III 16g'd wagon
    stock tranny goin strong
    .. already ready for a bigger turbo
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chanwahyaoh
    Sometimes after I go poo, I just blank out and mindlessly continue my upward wipe all the way up the small of my back and end up smearing brown all over myself. Just kidding. That sucks about your laundry though...

im pretty new here aswell but I see noone has replied...

the one thing I notice is in your profile you listed a Blitz blow-off valve. Is that part in fact on the car and is it a recurculating one? From my reading here I quickly found that a non-recurculating blow-off valve can cause some problems.

its just a thought.

Yes, the bov is in fact a V2A, But its comming off tonight when i get some bolts that will work on the stock one, and i just replaced the y pipe after i noticed the oil didn't see any crack though, I'm pretty new with a suby and did the 2 worst mods (bov + cia) on the car before i joined club wrx and realized i screwed up........ all hoses seem to be nice and secure now, Still have the problem..... Thanks all for the replys, i'll let you know if putting on the stock bov fixes anything...... Any other ideas?

If you bought the car used, are you sure it was never modded? The vacuum lines to your boost control solenoid may be leaking or routed incorrectly. Anyway, welcome to the club. I love my '03 wagon!

If you know someone that has an Accessport or if you have a boost gauge, you might check to see if you're actually hitting full boost.

try putting on the OEM BOV, check all vaccum hoses. The BOV might not be adjusted right and the spring pressure on the BOV isnt holding in the pressure.

Ok, so tonight i didn't have time to go and get the right bolts for my oem bov but i will tommrow, im gonna do some serches for the right configuration of my hoses and make sure there all right. I don't have a boost guage but i'm going to get one soon. i was looking at my motor once again and also noticed that the crank pully (the Biggest pully) is kinda wobbley i tried to giggle it and its not loose at all but at idle its wobbling. Is this normal, Any suggestions on what to do next, anyone had this problem?, How bad is it?, My motor runs fine and i've never had a cel so far......

A wobbling pulley doesn't sound normal at all! Especially if you're talking about the crank pulley. Are you sure it's wobbling and it's not just a trick of the eyes?

Im positive it is wobbling, not loose at all, any sugestions on what could have happened and any advice if just a new crank pully and bolt would possibly fix this, Im having no bad motor noise or anything, so my crank itself is ok right?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.