cobb down pipe???HELP

This is a discussion on cobb down pipe???HELP within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i just got a used cobb down pipe. after 2 hours working to get it on i get everything ...

cobb down pipe???HELP

so i just got a used cobb down pipe. after 2 hours working to get it on i get everything set to screw down and the flange holes for the DP dont line up with the flanges for the stock exhaust? the stock flanges on the mid pipe are at an angle, while the flange holes on the cobb DP are horrizontal. cobbs site says it fits a stock exhaust cat back. there is no way this is going to line up. i have an 06 wrx but i havent read they have changed anthing with this. im thinking the flange was removed or knocked off for some reason then welded back on. it also seems 1/2 inch shorter than the stock DP. so did i just get screwed or does the cobb DP not fit the stock mid pipe????
    drop some weight, drive naked!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

also this is a catless DP and there is no piping comming past the flange, im talking about the piece where the dounght slides on, the one i got has no place for the donught to slide on. cobbs site has pics of the catted one with this maybe 1" of pipe that comes out past the flange where the donught slides on. mine is missing this.....i think i got screwed.

can you post up some pics? And wasn't there a change of exhaust components on the 06? Hate to contradict you dude, but I could swear I remember reading about changes to it. My stock flanges on my catback were horizontal and fit right up to my cobb dp. Maybe just give Cobb a call and explain.
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

. well maybe ill have to get the whole cobb exhaust. but on the web site it dosent say anything about 06 being different mine has no piece comming past the flange where the donoughnut is supposed to mount. http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/images/dp-flange-web.jpg
    Last edited by josh06wrx; 09-28-2006 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josh06wrx
    . well maybe ill have to get the whole cobb exhaust. but on the web site it dosent say anything about 06 being different mine has no piece comming past the flange where the donoughnut is supposed to mount. http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/images/dp-flange-web.jpg

hmm that is just weird. Mine couldn't have been any more direct bolt on. Did you by chance talk to the guy who sold it? Maybe just tell him that you put this on, and it seems like something is missing that won't let it bolt up. He might have cut something off. Doesn't make much sense though. Give it a shot?
    - chris
    04 wrx, 04 corvette, 66 GTO
    ACT installed at 36k...new Gears at 44k...

Quote Originally Posted by bluerex47
    Did you by chance talk to the guy who sold it? Maybe just tell him that you put this on, and it seems like something is missing that won't let it bolt up. He might have cut something off. Doesn't make much sense though. Give it a shot?
    + 1

ya i have yet to hear back from the seller. i think im gonna go to the exhaust shop tomorrow and see if they can cut the end off the stock exhaust mid pipe, turn it, and weld it back on. may be the cheapest, quickest fix at this point. i really dont want to have to go through putting the stock one back on. then get another whole turbo back when the time comes. damn what a dissapointment

I just installed a Cobb DownPipe on my '06 and it bolted right up to everything including the stock CBE. I'm not sure how you could be having a problem. It's the same DownPipe they are selling to '02-'05 owners. Mine was used and off of an older WRX.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wasn't there some change in 06 in the respective lengths of the downpipe and midpipe, but not overall length of the combined unit, such that you have to replace both to match up to the CBE?

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist
    Wasn't there some change in 06 in the respective lengths of the downpipe and midpipe, but not overall length of the combined unit, such that you have to replace both to match up to the CBE?
    With the shorty downpipes it's an issue. Cobb's downpipe replaces both peices, so it's a non-issue.
    2006 WRX WRB Wagon
    Stage 2 Cobb catless DP and Borla Hush CBE
    *Total Loss*

ya the DP was modified to prolly line up with another aftermarket cat back. the guy has offered to pay for it to be fitted and i really dont think he knew since its visable in pics he sent but you wouldnt know unless you have a good one to compare it to , or you spend 2 hours putting it on and it dosent line up
    also i spoke with cobb, the DP fits 02 -06 and matches the stock mid pipe.