Pulled code P1443
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Pulled code P1443 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im beginning to think i have bad luck with my car I was driving on the interstate going a steady ...

Pulled code P1443

Im beginning to think i have bad luck with my car

I was driving on the interstate going a steady 70ish mph, and I noticed the check engine light on and the cruise indicator light blinking. I didn't hear any strange noises or notice any changes in performance.

went to autozone and had them run the test, code came up P1443.

I always make sure my gas cap clicks more than 3 times, and it had been almost 300 miles since my last fill up.

Car is stock, never modded, 8700 miles on it, 2006 wrx.

The dealer said if they run the test and its an issue with the gas cap, its not covered under warranty and I will be charged.

Does anybody w/ 06's have this problem? I checked nasioc and i noticed it's mostly 2002's or modded wrx's throwing this code.
    - Anna

Wise men say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

P1443 Evaporative emission control system vent control function problem......Theres the definition of the code.

Cel P1446...

^^^^^^theres a discussion of this code.....

I never had that with my 06 and i got 15,000 on the clock. I dont understand why the dealer wouldnt fix the problem under warranty. The gas cap is between The rear bumper and front bumper right?
    Last edited by PJO42387; 09-27-2006 at 06:49 PM.
    CGM

I tightened the gas cap. I even tried putting gas in my car at 2 different stations. Both times I tried the pump would keep clicking and shut off as if my tank were full, but I started off with 1/8 of a tank and got fed up trying at about 1/2 tank. I want to take it to the dealer, but at the same time I don't want to get screwed for something dumb. I know our camry had the problem with filling the tank for a while and it went away on its own. This is more annoying because I have the cel to deal with + i hate to think of anything serious going wrong in the future.
    - Anna

Make Subaru figure it out, they better for free. I mean especially since its not a tranny problem.
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    This is really stupid that they are giving you a hard time. What dealership are you going to? I'd recommend trying to find a better dealership as they shouldnt charge you anything even if it is the gas cap. The other option is re-setting your ecu (pulling neg. battery terminal off and hitting the brake for 5-10 seconds) and hopefully the cel will go away. From thier you can make sure the gas cap clicks several times and hope that ti's fixed. I never count 3 clicks but just take it around a few times. Good luck with it all.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

if the CEL doesnt go away, just keep driving, it will take a few cycles for the ecu to "withdraw" the code, you could also reset the ecu if it bothers you that much.. and as for the dealership wanting to charge you? thats non sense, take it to another dealership from now on
    14.160@96.011
    90 degree weather
    airhog, removed silencer, and removed stock catback exhaust (stock DPs in place) and craptacular california 91 octane piss water

Just thought I would post an update on this. Be warned, it's a rant.

The CEL eventually went off, but since it went on, I had trouble putting gas in my car without the pump automatically shutting off every gallon or two as if it were full.
    I took my car into the dealership. They replaced some canister (sorry, I don't have the receipt so I can't be any more specific). They didn't even bother checking to see if the gas pumping issue was fixed.

Well, no surprise that I went to put gas in it and the same problem was still there. It might have even been a little worse. The pump was shutting off like the tank was full every dollar or so. My father called the dealer service dept and the guy told him they didn't check to see if it was fixed and we could bring the car in again and he'd have to order the part again (in case the replacement was faulty.. who fricken knows). Anyway, they won't give me a loan out car because I didn't pay the extra $400 for their oil change and free loan out car program. But what ticks me is that last week they offered me a one time loan out.. which I didn't take them up on, but now I need to have bought that coverage? Um, no. This is warranty work, it isn't regular maintenance or MY fault. It's 1.5 hours round trip to this dealership - we've already gone there twice - it takes TWO people to go there and an extra car. This is BS IMO. We are going to try to find a better subaru dealer shop to take it to. Does anybody who lives in the Baltimore area have any suggestions? This place I am having problems with is in Gaithersburg, so I won't be going back to that one unless I absolutely have to.
    - Anna

Quote Originally Posted by Irish.Car.Bomb View Post

The CEL eventually went off, but since it went on, I had trouble putting gas in my car without the pump automatically shutting off every gallon or two as if it were full.
    I took my car into the dealership. They replaced some canister (sorry, I don't have the receipt so I can't be any more specific). They didn't even bother checking to see if the gas pumping issue was fixed.

Well, no surprise that I went to put gas in it and the same problem was still there. It might have even been a little worse. The pump was shutting off like the tank was full every dollar or so. My father called the dealer service dept and the guy told him they didn't check to see if it was fixed and we could bring the car in again and he'd have to order the part again (in case the replacement was faulty.. who fricken knows). Anyway, they won't give me a loan out car because I didn't pay the extra $400 for their oil change and free loan out car program. But what ticks me is that last week they offered me a one time loan out.. which I didn't take them up on, but now I need to have bought that coverage? Um, no. This is warranty work, it isn't regular maintenance or MY fault. It's 1.5 hours round trip to this dealership - we've already gone there twice - it takes TWO people to go there and an extra car. This is BS IMO. We are going to try to find a better subaru dealer shop to take it to. Does anybody who lives in the Baltimore area have any suggestions? This place I am having problems with is in Gaithersburg, so I won't be going back to that one unless I absolutely have to.
    Just go to the local Subaru dealership. Why drive 1.5hours for a bad dealership? There are like 5 Subaru dealers near where I live.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

the gas cap CEL is a PITA.

when I bought my 02...the sales guy was trying to show me that if you open the gas cap while the car is running it will throw a CEL...so I he did it to show me I shouldn't do it.

He said the CEL would go away within 500 miles...1400 miles later I had to bring in the car 3 times before they finally got it to go away. Haven't had it since then.

Try resetting the ECU...disconnect battery, pump brakes, let it sit for 10 minutes.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey there, that is probaly the stupidist thing I've ever heard. We have several good shops in the area that I am sure can set you straight. It sounds to me you had a case of the "Warranty work doesnt pay as much as walk in rates so I'm going to drag me feet and hope this works" Sorry for your awful experiance.

IMHO if you are driving that far it would be worth your while to try Annapolis Subaru, Herb Gordon Subaru, Russell Subaru (if you go to russell PM me and I'll get you the name of a tech over there who is fairly good from what I hear, some techs over there are a tad shady I've heard).

You dont have to have your car worked on by the shop you bought it at. Driving that far is worthless and an extra headache to you.

I've heard good things about the part dept. at Annapolis and I'm sure the shop is fairly good from what I've heard. Herb Gordon is where I bought my car and the sales staff was great, but I'm not sure about their service part.

Heck with the way they treated you I'd just try to go to the closest dealership (Might be Hunt Valley Subaru) and see what they say.

The only shop I'd really stay clear of would be Jones Junction. They are horrible.

If it was out of warranty I'd 100% send you down to Andrewtech in Gaithersburg as they are extreamly good with Subaru's, but arent a dealership so warranty work isnt something they can do. Good luck.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish.Car.Bomb View Post

I have an 06 and had a similar CEL issue, drivin down the road 70ish went on and it was an evap code.

Question: Do you have the dealer installed boost gauge?

My problem was I installed an aftermarket (Omori 45mm) boost gauge and one of the vaccuum lines came uncoupled. For some reason the factory used a blue smooth plastic non barbed coupler hooking two *bent* sections of vaccuum hose together. Its hard to see unless you dig for it and a PITA to fix if you dont have really small hands. 20 min and several zip ties later, that sucker aint commin un hooked again. I have put 4 months a 4500 miles on it since no problems and no CEL.

Hope this helps.

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh and my dealership told me that if it was a gas cap it wasn't covered under warranty and they would charge me $100 diagnostic plus $40 for the gas cap. Plus if it was the result of any modification to the car that they would void my warranty in full at 4400 miles.

Yeah kinda motivated me to fix it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Oh and my dealership told me that if it was a gas cap it wasn't covered under warranty and they would charge me $100 diagnostic plus $40 for the gas cap. Plus if it was the result of any modification to the car that they would void my warranty in full at 4400 miles.

Yeah kinda motivated me to fix it myself.
    Sounds like another bully dealership. They cant void your warranty in full for anything. All they can do is refuse warranty work that one time b/c your modification caused a problem. The next time you need work done they again have to prove that your mod caused the issue. They cant say, oh well you have mods, cant fix your weather stripping! Pay me $$$ now!
    (i am stage 4, my dealer can see that, they still warranteed my weather stripping in my rear passenger door that was falling down!)

Go to a different dealership. How is a gas cap issue not warranteed? It is not like anyone is modifing the cap. Someone call SOA asap.

Dealerships make all of there $ off of repeat service/maintenance. If they dont give you amazing service go somewhere else, the dealer wont stay in business very long with a bad attitude to customers. Money is money whether you are 16 or 65.
    Last edited by D0WNxSH1FT; 10-26-2006 at 09:04 AM.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT View Post
    Someone call SOA asap.
    One of the guys here at work had an issue with the head gasket on his outback. Contacted SOA several times to no avail. Finally he got ahold of Subaru Japan via several phone calls and a written letter to the president of the company. Needless to say his issue got resolved but SOA was useless and would never call him back or write him back, and when he got ahold of someone they "couldn't help him."

Don't have a lot of faith in SOA.

why wouldn't a gas cap be covered under the "bumper-to-bumper" warranty?

that's just retarded.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast