rear diff plug removal?

This is a discussion on rear diff plug removal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so i changed my oil today and finally got to to my gear oil as well and i have been ...

rear diff plug removal?

so i changed my oil today and finally got to to my gear oil as well and i have been shown the light shifting is soooo much better (redline lightweight shockproof). i now need to do my rear diff and i noticed that the plugs are or have a square in it like i need a square screwdriver, now what the heck kind of tool do i need to get off because honestly ive never seen that before.
    un poqito.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Personally..... I like to do full-throttle powershifts in my car.... just leave the gas on the floor.. stomp the clutch, throw the shifter, and hold on.
    I also like to scream at 7000RPMs in 1st gear...... and them slam it into reverse, sidestep the clutch, and do backwards 4-wheel burnouts while still moving forward.
    It's fun... try it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hex or allen key

The rear diff oil drain plug is a half inch square=1/2" breaker bar or ratchet. cake work. Instead of putting a socket on the breaker bar or ratchet, just use the ratchet or breaker bar itself.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by 06grayrex
    The rear diff oil drain plug is a half inch square=1/2" breaker bar or ratchet. cake work. Instead of putting a socket on the breaker bar or ratchet, just use the ratchet or breaker bar itself.
    damb i feel stupid

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rr1911
    hex or allen key
    Don't feel bad. Some cars do have a large allen drain/fill plug in them. I've run across cars with allen plugs so large that I made a tool by welding two bolts together to remove them.

I hate the drain plug on my transmission. Torx head. Aside from maybe Trainrex, who has a T60 torx head in their toolbox. I ended up having to buy an impact socket. Dumb.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    I hate the drain plug on my transmission. Torx head. Aside from maybe Trainrex, who has a T60 torx head in their toolbox. I ended up having to buy an impact socket. Dumb.
    I know that wasn't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    I know that wasn't cheap
    $25 or so, it's been awhile. I'll use it, so whatever. Still an allen head whould've been nice.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

sweet thanks!
    un poqito.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    Personally..... I like to do full-throttle powershifts in my car.... just leave the gas on the floor.. stomp the clutch, throw the shifter, and hold on.
    I also like to scream at 7000RPMs in 1st gear...... and them slam it into reverse, sidestep the clutch, and do backwards 4-wheel burnouts while still moving forward.
    It's fun... try it

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone
    I had to buy the torx from the stealer. I cannot remember the cost for the t60 or was it a t70 (I'll have to check)????I know when I went to purchase it none of the tool trucks could even get it. It was back in 04 when I changed the front diff fluid on my wife's 2.5 rs.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #666
    Stage 2

I think mine ('05 WRX) was a T70. Why they went that route, who knows?

I found mine here:
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0552_200310552
    29.99 for a whole set.