Need help fast with code from exhaust

This is a discussion on Need help fast with code from exhaust within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been having some issues since i put on a pde uppipe and turboback exhaust. I was getting a po420 ...

Need help fast with code from exhaust

I've been having some issues since i put on a pde uppipe and turboback exhaust. I was getting a po420 code. I got the ILP fix for that and haven't seen that since. But since i did the exhaust i get a high pitched whistle coming when i accelerate hard under boost. It doesn't do it sometimes when the car is warm. But it always does it when it's cold. I know for a fact the exhaust is leaking in the downpipe on top of the catalytic converter at the flange. FIS already put in a new uppipe and gasket. That didn't fix it. Now i got a po546 code (Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 1). I called the service department and they have me really scared saying that aftermarket exhaust on a wrx burns up the pistons, valves and egt sensors and they cost a lot. He said that cold air intakes will burn the stuff up too. I'm not made of money and i can't afford to replace engines and egt sensors all the time. I wouldn't think exhaust would hurt the car. But he also said that an exhaust leak in the downpipe would cause the air to come back through the exhaust and cool down the valves and burn them on the edge or something. Either way i'm really spooked and i've gone up to FIS from Waco 4 times now. I really need to get some anwers. The car looses lots of power when it makes the noise also. I go from 13.2-13.5 when i hear it. And my traps go from 101.6-98.7. So it looses a lot. Thanks for any input you guys can give.
    2005 WRB STI - TBE, CAI, Protune
    1.74 60 foot -8.30 1/8@83.66mph

2002 WRX (Gone)
    1.80 60 foot - 8.15 1/8 mile - 12.61@112.19

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK ill be very clear about this

Exhaust modifications for high flow WILL NOT burn up pistons or EGT sensors. The problems with the EGT sensors came from a faulty cat in the STOCK up-pipe. They found it would break down under high temperature and damage the EGT. My old dealership replaced several of these UNDER WARRANTY. Whoever told you this eating piston buisness is full of it and was probably a service writer who couldnt identify the open end of a combo wrench.

This whistling sound is probably the result of a loose bolt or torn gasket right at the turbo. I would guess it would be on the downpipe side if you heard it, but you would be loosing the power if it was on the up-pipe side (less air into the turbo = less power), so it may be that you have leaks on both sides. Youre going to have to sit over the pipe and see if you can hear where its coming from.

let me know how it goes and ill see how else i can help,

Joe
    merlin916@aol.com
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |