Downpipe problems

This is a discussion on Downpipe problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok..I have a 04 wrx and I put on a QTP electric cut-out downpipe and took it out for a ...

Downpipe problems

Ok..I have a 04 wrx and I put on a QTP electric cut-out downpipe and took it out for a drive with the valve open. when i hit the asphalt i floored it and flew through the grears. It boosted extremely quick and burried the boost gauge needle at 20 psi. in 3rd gear it just stalled really hard and then the CEL came on when the car got going again. I havnt done anything with the wastegate or a boost controller but the new down pipe has a seperate exhaust tube for the wastegate from the factory one wich is just a plate that covers the wastegate i was wondering what i could do to control the boost and put it at 10psi were it should be and what could have gone wrong for the CEL to come on???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First off 10psi is not where stock boost is.

Stock should be around 14PSI

I believe what you experienced was fuel cut. Running at 20psi when you do not have the proper mods (like it sounds like) is a very bad thing to do because it caused your engine to run super lean!
    That downpipe does not sound like a very good setup becuase you are getting some major boost creep. Research before you mod!
    2004 WRX Sti Cobb Stage 2
    GO COUGS!!!

sorry to bring this post back but have you got the car working, and how do you like the cut out now. I want one bad

the cel is wastegate failure due to boost creep from there being basically no backpressure get the wastegate ported if you want to run a setup similar to this
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

The downpipe works fine now. There is a plate between the exhaust port for the turbo and the wastegate wich is what was causing the problem. when the wastegate needed to open it would catch on that plate and wouldnt fully open leading to all the extra boost. I dremmeled the plate down really thin and cut out a portion of the top of it where the wastegate valve would pass by when it opened. Now it's works perfect.