noise from left front wheel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on noise from left front wheel within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; lately there has been a loud sqeeking noise coming from my driver side front wheel. it just started to happen ...

noise from left front wheel

lately there has been a loud sqeeking noise coming from my driver side front wheel. it just started to happen one day so i dont know what it is. it happens whenever i am moving not just when i brake. im going to take off the wheel and check everything out i was just wondering if anyone has any advice to what it could be. i dont think its my brakes as they are only a couple months old... thanks in advance
    2002 wrx 255 whp

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Love the avatar!
    Sounds like the squeal indicator on the brake pads. Check to make sure your caliper is sliding properly, if not you are using just the inner pad ( closest to the piston ). This will wear out a pad in no time.
    2005 Legacy GT - stock for now
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider
    Love the avatar!
    Sounds like the squeal indicator on the brake pads. Check to make sure your caliper is sliding properly, if not you are using just the inner pad ( closest to the piston ). This will wear out a pad in no time.

+10

thanks guys looks like im in the market for some new pads. any you reccomend
    2002 wrx 255 whp

Quote Originally Posted by ruckustrx11
    thanks guys looks like im in the market for some new pads. any you reccomend
    Hawk makes a great product but you pay for it. Make sure to fix your sticky caliper first ( if this is actually the problem ).
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

thanks man i appriciate it. what do you suggest i do to find out if its a sticky caliper. should i take it somewhere or is it something i can do with basic knowladge. also if it is what can i do to fix it... thanks again
    2002 wrx 255 whp

Hey, if it turns out that it's not the caliper or pads, maybe it's the ball joints. Not sure what kind of a squeak you're talking about, but that could be a cause. Not 100% sure on that, it's just a suggestion, but ya never know right?

ok might sound stupid but when i put new tires on my rex the guy only tourqed the lugs to 80 lbs... and the wheel made noise... after a day or so i thightened the wheels up and the noise was gone

not stupid... it could be anything right i mean i havnt even really looked yet but ill make sure to check that
    2002 wrx 255 whp

thanks... i hoped i helped a little then

Quote Originally Posted by ruckustrx11
    thanks man i appriciate it. what do you suggest i do to find out if its a sticky caliper. should i take it somewhere or is it something i can do with basic knowladge. also if it is what can i do to fix it... thanks again
    It's not too difficult BUT keep in mind the brakes bring these flying bullets to a halt. A mistake due to experience can be catastrophic! Brakes and tires are two things I will NEVER scrimp on or take for granted on a vehicle.
    The calipers slide on a set of pins that also act as the anchor point for the bracket. The pin assembly runs in a round track that has a dust/dirt seal around the outside to keep the elements out and the grease/lubricant in. The pins can develop grooves or notches in them that prevent the caliper from sliding properly which causes binding ( the sliding centers the caliper and pads to the rotor and adjust for pad wear ).
    These are cheap hardware pieces that can be reused but "should" be replaced with each pad swap. Proper lube and good dust seals are critical.
    Hope this helps, get that wheel assy checked out ASAP.
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmrider
    Brakes and tires are two things I will NEVER scrimp on or take for granted on a vehicle.
    Brakes are only for emergencies

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Brakes are only for emergencies
    That and old farts like me who woke up one day with a wife, 2 kids, and a mortgage.
    Life sure has a way of reminding you when you were born...
    1991 Galant VR4 - Sold
    2002 WRX Wagon - Sold

haha yeah for sure im going to get them checked out today ill keep you gys posted
    2002 wrx 255 whp

so turns out my front brake pads and rotors were done for so i went and ordered some new ones. racingbrake slotted rotors and carbotech pads... i should get them by monday and install by monday night ill let you guys know how it went thanks for the input
    2002 wrx 255 whp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast