Holding me back?!?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Holding me back?!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm new to the whole "Turbo" side of a motor. When I floor it anywhere below 4K RPM, it's perfectly ...

Holding me back?!?

I'm new to the whole "Turbo" side of a motor. When I floor it anywhere below 4K RPM, it's perfectly smooth utill I get to 4K, from 4K to 5K it feels like someone is holding me back, then at 5K on up I get my power back. According to the OEM Boost Gauge, I don't have a lack of pressure from that 4 - 5K range. Can anyone give me an insite as to what this issue might be?

The wierd thing is that every now and then the car works 100%, it'll boost fine and the power gradully gets better as the RPM's get higher.

I don't have a ryme or a reason to what might be causing it. The car is 100% percent bone stock. I bought it used from a Subaru dealership.

Any thoughts?

And for all you clubwrx.net "senior" members, YES, I hit up the search field before posting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 04WRXR
    I'm new to the whole "Turbo" side of a motor. When I floor it anywhere below 4K RPM, it's perfectly smooth utill I get to 4K, from 4K to 5K it feels like someone is holding me back, then at 5K on up I get my power back. According to the OEM Boost Gauge, I don't have a lack of pressure from that 4 - 5K range. Can anyone give me an insite as to what this issue might be?
    What gear are you in? Is the car actually accelerating slower? The stock WRX's powerband is pretty lumpy feeling. It is not smooth or linear.

How much boost are you getting and are you keeping it floored the whole time?
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Yes, it's floored thte whole time. It only seems to do it when I'm in second gear.

how much boost is it reading ?
    "I can resist everything except temptation."
    www.subarunited.com
    www.dirtyimpreza.com
    www.corruptmotors.com

how many miles on the car ?

The car has 37,000 miles and it reads .08 Bar at full boost, which I was told to be the stock pressure rating on a stock WRX (04.)

The car has 37,000 miles and it reads .08 Bar at full boost, which I was told to be the stock pressure rating on a stock WRX (04.)
    Yea that is correct. So is the car actually not pulling or are you imagining it b/c you felt that initial pull when the turbo kicked in, and then it leveled off a bit? Plus the stock Turbo isnt great up top, so it starts to run out of breath post-6K.

Not sure tho, maybe have some local subaru people go for a drive w/ you and diagnose the issue.

So everything is fine now. I reset the ECU, at least I think I did. I left the (RED) positive terminal off the battery for an hour and now everything is the way it should be. That's wierd!!!!!

Thanks for all the replys.

So everything is fine now. I reset the ECU, at least I think I did. I left the (RED) positive terminal off the battery for an hour and now everything is the way it should be. That's wierd!!!!!

Thanks for all the replys.
    Congratz. The ECU must of been pulling timing. Do me a favor tho? Go to the Mid-Atlantic forum here, meet up w/ the Subaru guys, or find a Subaru shop tons near DC and I know TurboXS is in MD. Have them look over your car for any mods. If the ECU was pulling timing you may have a mod or two that you dont know about.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is it an 04/05 model? It's possible you're feeling the OL/CL transition althrough I believe it happens at around 3k in my car. The powerband is by no means smooth on this car.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.